1. Default August Road trip - Vegas - Grand Canyon - Monument Valley

Hello,

Firstly I am really happy I found this amazingly useful site...keep up the good work.

So have a few questions and requests for suggestions if you good folk wouldn't mind helping me out. I am planning on coming to Vegas in August, I will be there from 10th August until 20th August. A few friends are joining me and we are planning on starting our road trip on the 11th August.

Here come the questions!

1. We have a few things we definitely want to see, i.e. Grand Canyon, Monument Valley. We would also like to see Death Valley (I know that's on the other side) and was looking for suggestions of routes or things to see on the way.

2. We all enjoy hiking. Are there any really good hikes we should try and do, or is it just crazy to attempt that in the heat of August! We come from UK so not used to the heat!

3. We were going to hire a car, although someone suggested hiring a camper van and touring that way! Can anyone recommend whether that is a good idea, and if it is easy to find places to park at night.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fennis

Default We're happy you've found the posts here helpful

Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums!

1. We have a few things we definitely want to see, i.e. Grand Canyon, Monument Valley. We would also like to see Death Valley (I know that's on the other side) and was looking for suggestions of routes or things to see on the way.
    In my travels, I have, unfortunately, not made it to Death Valley yet. So I'll point you to some expert advice here and here about that. This should get you started with some ideas about that portion of your trip.

This post should give you some great ideas about Monument Valley and Grand Canyon.

This is really one of the most popular trips on these forums so a quick browse or search should yield you tons more information. Also check out the links below in the tags or the suggested threads.

2. We all enjoy hiking. Are there any really good hikes we should try and do, or is it just crazy to attempt that in the heat of August! We come from UK so not used to the heat
    Everybody reacts to heat differently so it's hard to say if this would work for you or not. Thousands of people hike most of the areas you're visiting with all year long so it's do-able if you're prepared properly. I think you'll find less people hiking in Death Valley in the August heat though. In fact, I would suggest not doing hikes there if you're new to hot-weather hiking. The temperatures there, especially, are quite extreme.

If you're considering doing any hiking, you will want to take all the necessary precautions. Have "The 10 Essentials". Here's a list of them plus four. In the heat, obviously water and sunscreen are vital. You can't have too much water. I can't emphasize safety enough for these types of hikes so please do good research, know the area you're going to be hiking in via maps and other recommendations from local park rangers and guidebooks. Definitely go for shorter hikes until you have been able to gauge whether or not you can stand the heat and sun for longer hikes. Turn back way before you're half-way done drinking the water you've brought.

3. We were going to hire a car, although someone suggested hiring a camper van and touring that way! Can anyone recommend whether that is a good idea, and if it is easy to find places to park at night.
    Each has its merits. To decide if it's right for you, you might want to read about how to rent an RV and this article that walks you through the decision-making process. The cost of renting an RV makes this a more expensive vacation option than renting a car/hotel stays will be. But the experience can outweigh the extra expense. If you enjoy camper van-style trips in Europe, you might want to do that in the States, too.

Browse around these resources and come on back with further questions so we can continue to help you plan a fantastic roadtrip.

there is a lot of great hiking throughout the southwest. the GC has a lot of hikes from the rim heading down into the canyon. to cope with the heat you want to take a lot of water and try to hike in early in the morning. The National Park Service website has great info on the hikes in the GC.

Monument Valley is mostly a drive but worth it. Death Valley is beautiful but would be difficult, allthough by no means impossible to do in August. you might consider going north from MV and seeing Arches NP or a bit east over to Mesa Verde NP, both are fantastic. also Canyon de Chelly is Arizona, south of MV is also great.

These are great sites on the entire area, that have info on everything you are looking for.
    American Southwest
    Desert USA

aside from always having extra water in your car and when you hike, put on sunscreen even when driving. the strong sun will fry you.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-20-2008 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Preferred format for URLs herein

Default another option

hi there,
    if you enjoy hiking then it maybe worth considering heading up hwy 15 from vegas towards st george and heading for zion n.p.. it's a wonderfull place for walking with incredable scenery. from here you go through page to monument valley [if you have the time a trip to bryce canyon in between is highly recommended] and then back towards the grand canyon.

I live in Las Vegas now but lived in Zion back in the 70's and 80's. If you love hiking, that is the place to go. It will be cooler than Nevada and it has some of the best hiking trails around. I definitely recommend hiking in Zion. There are novice to expert trails too. If you plan on going and staying overnight, Flanigan's Inn is very nice, plus there are some overnight trips to take in Zion as well.