Wolfetone Guest

Default San Francisco to San Francisco in 19 days

Hello,

Could somebody please help me with the following. We (me,girlfriend and two kids, 12 and 14) are flying into San Francisco on July 13. On 2 August we fly to New York. During this time I would love to see as much of California, Arizona, Utah and Nevada as I can. But being an Irish guy living in Holland, I'm not used to planning trips for the distance involved.
    I've made a plan but I don't know whether its feasible of not.
    Day 1 arrive in SF
    Day 2 SF
    Day 3 Monterey, 17 mile drive, Big Sur, San Luis Obispo
    Day 4 San Luis Obispo, LA
    Day 5 LA
    Day 6 LA
    Day 7 LA, Joshua National Park, Lake Havasu City (is there an alternative to Lake Havisu?)
    Day 8 Lake Havesu City, Oatman, Kingman,Seligman, Williams (route 66)
    Day 9 Williams, Grand Canyon, Page
    Day 10 Page, Kayenta, Monument Valley, Page
    Day 11 Page, Bryce Canyon, Page
    Day 12 Page (Antelope Canyon, Lake Powell, Rainbow Bridge)
    Day 13 Page, Zion NP, Las Vegas
    Day 14 Las Vegas
    Day 15 Las Vegas, Beatty,(Rhyolite), Death Valley, Bishop
    Day 16 Bishop, Lee Vining, Lake Mono,Bodie, Lee Vining
    Day 17 Lee Vining, Yosemite, Oakhurst
    Day 18 Oakhurst, Sequoia NP, ??
    Day 19 Arrive in San Francisco
    Day 20 Fly to New York

I would really appreciate any tips and comments. Is it wise to use Page/Lake Powell as a base for exploring Monument Valley and Bryce Canyon? Where can I go in between Sequoia and SF?

hi there, that looks like a wonderfull trip but your putting a lot of miles on and taking time away from places by travelling to and from page. if theres no particular reason for this i would consider keep moving on instead of having to return to the same spot each day,this should free up time.
    unless you have visited the grand canyon before i would consider using some of that time spending another night here rather than driving through it,it's to good to be rushed.
    the same goes for yosemite,there is so much to see just on the tioga pass [hwy120] from lee vining that to move on to oakhurst you would barely have time for the valley floor and glacier point. here i would consider stopping at oakhurst and having a look at the mariposa grove of big trees and re visiting yosemite before heading off to san fran.
    you will also be amazed at how many other things there are to see between places in this amazing part of the world. journey times can be deceiving and time will fly by,but i think your trip is doable but i would go from g/c to monument valley and then back through page and keep going through when you have left there.
    have a great trip!!

Wolfetone Guest

Default San Francisco to San Francisco in 19 days

Hoi,

Thanks for the quick reply, would you spend the night in Kayenta after exploring monument valley? Or would you head straight for Bryce Canyon?
    Maybe I should skip Sequoia and spend more time in Yosemite. Is Oakhurst the place to stay if you are visiting Yosemite?

Thanks for the quick reply, would you spend the night in Kayenta after exploring monument valley? Or would you head straight for Bryce Canyon?
    i guess that would depend on where i started the day from.you could either arrive from the g/c in the evening and explore m/v before heading towards bryce [possibly stopping somewhere in between [page?] or, if travelling from g/c that morning and arrive m/v in the afternoon and visit then and then stay the night and hit the road first thing to bryce.
    from the grand canyon village bare in mind that you will want to spend time taking in the views along "desert view drive" to the east entrance by the old watchtower,there are lots of viewpoints.

Maybe I should skip Sequoia and spend more time in Yosemite. Is Oakhurst the place to stay if you are visiting Yosemite?
    i would think that would be your best bet,as once again the drive to the sequoias is deceptive. oakhurst is an o.k. town but if you don't mind paying a premium and there are still availabilitys then staying in the park itself would be beneficial. this is there site and heres another that covers some outside the park. i cannot reccomend any lodgings that i have used as we were in an r.v but the yosemite bug has been mentioned a few times.
    if you fancy taking a look heres our trip from san fran that may give you an idea of what lies ahead. if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
    just a note that may help your planning as bryce and zion are 2 fantastic places but bryce is easier/quicker to see from the overlooks whereas more time is needed at zion as there are plenty of nice walks to be enjoyed.
    rubys inn is a nice place to stop for bryce canyon.
    for zion you can't go wrong staying in the lovely little town of springdale.

Wolfetone Guest

Thank you for the info, I had a look at your site, brilliant pictures. I can't wait to go and expierience it myself. The Mariposa Grove of big trees you mentioned, are they the the same type of giants as in Sequoia NP? If they are I could go there instead of driving all the way to Sequoia NP.
    I 've had another look at the map, and it looks like quiet a drive from Yosemite through the mountains to Sequoia.

Thanks again,

Best regards

no problem,i hope it helps but you can't go wrong in this area theres just so many amazing places. the mariposa grove is full of giant sequoias as in the sequoias n.p. area, so this will give you more time in yosemite and get to see the giant trees,there huge!
    i mentioned it before,but while in yosemite i would definately go up to glacier point,it's a view to die for!! enjoy your trip!!