Default New Jersey to Yellowstone...suggestions?

We are planning a trip for July 2 to the 21st from New Jersey to Yellowstone. We are leaving on the 2nd and will stop in Dayton Ohio to drop off our 5 yr old son with his grandparents...then the rest of us (my wife, myself, my step-son 14 and my step-daughter 10) will continue with stops in DesMoines, Spearfish (on the 4th of July...trying to find some fireworks to attend if we can make it) and then finally Gardiner, Mt. We'll spend a week in a cabin 200 yds from the Yellowstone river and have planned a whitewater rafting trip and also an overnight stay in a tent-cabin in Grand Teton NP. On the way back we are going through Cody and staying in Sheridan, Wy and then back to Rapid City to see Mt. Rushmore and finally back to DesMoines and then to Dayton to spend a few days with family. This is our first trip out to any of these destinations and I would like any feedback anyone can offer as far as "don't miss" places and places that maybe sound good on paper, but don't have the impact in person. We are all very excited about the trip and are counting the days until we leave.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default locked in

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

If you aren't/can't leave until the 2nd, this won't work, but there is a fantastic fireworks display on July 3rd at Mount Rushmore.

It also doesn't look like you've scheduled much time in the Black Hills or Badlands area, but there are certainly many things to do in that area beyond Mt. Rushmore.

Another idea that I would look at is doing more of a loop. Instead of going out and coming back the same way, I might go through Iowa/South Dakota one way, and then go back a more southern route, through say Nebraska or Kansas and Missouri or a northern route, via north dakota and minnesota.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Cabin dates?

If you can tell us when you're staying for the week in the cabin, we will have a better understanding of how long you have for the drive there and back. This will help us advise you on what you can squeeze in.

Hi...we are arriving at the cabin on Saturday July 5th and leaving there Saturday July 12th. On the way back we are tentatively planning to spend some time in Cody, Wyoming and at Devils Tower and also at Mt. Rushmore. We are taking Route 90 on the way out for speed purposes (we can't leave any sooner than the 2nd of July and have to be in Montana on the 5th) but on the way back we want to take a slightly more scenic route and thus have the idea of going through Cody, etc. I'm just looking for some ideas that people who have "been there and done that" might be able to offer. Thanks!!

Tucson, AZ

Default Stops for Adults and Teens

Besides the places you've listed on the way back, here are a few more great and off-the-wall places: the Crazy Horse Memorial, Wind Cave National Park, Wall Drug, Badlands National Park, the Corn Palace, Wisconsin Dells, Circus World Museum, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, and depending on where you're going in Jersey, either Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, or Gettysburg.

And on the way out, if you have time as you're cruising down I-90 in southeastern Montana, do stop at Little Bighorn National Battlefield.