1. Default Wisconsin-->Wyoming-->Arizona

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, summer is here and I'm gonna go roadtrip with my girlfriend this weekend. Is it a bad idea to drive my new car to the Yellowstone national park and Grand Canyon national park (my main concern is about animals all around and other risk such as heat) ??
    Should I rent a car instead? Did any of you go there before? Any thoughts? Or any other nice place to go roadtrip?

Thanks you all for your input!

Default pros and cons

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Taking your own car or renting one is simply a matter of personal preference. Here are the basic pros and cons, and here are some more personal thoughts on the subject.

Otherwise, common sense generally prevails when dealing with things like weather and wildlife. And Between Yellowstone and Grand Canyon lies the entire american west, so the options are virtually endless. Just don't think you'll be able to pull off either of those destinations as just a weekend trip.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Taking your own car or renting one is simply a matter of personal preference. Here are the basic pros and cons, and here are some more personal thoughts on the subject.

Otherwise, common sense generally prevails when dealing with things like weather and wildlife. And Between Yellowstone and Grand Canyon lies the entire american west, so the options are virtually endless. Just don't think you'll be able to pull off either of those destinations as just a weekend trip.
    hey Michael, thanks for your advise very much. However, my main concern are about those animals and heat, etc. Do you have any experience with those in these national parks?

Default common sense

Again, common sense really prevails.

First of all, especially if you are planning to start your trip this weekend, heat really shouldn't be an issue at all at either the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone. Just taking a quick look at the forecast, the hottest days at the Canyon next week would be in the low 80s and snow is actually in the forecast at Yellowstone by the middle of next week.

I'm not really sure what your concern with animals is, but its a pretty rare occurance when there is a problem with animals and humans at a national park. When it does happen, usually there is a human provoking the action.

Default Wildlife

Don't approuch wildlife. Each year people are killed by Buffalo's in Yell. Respect them, it's their habitat. Look for Condors in GCNP. There's a breeding programm in the Vermillion Cliffs. Look down to the canyonwalls. Hope you will see some. Your biggest concern will be driving on the road. Avoid driving between dusk and down. Encounters with wildlife are countless and dangerous. Great time of year to visit. Go GCNP first, then Yell (and Grand Teton NP and many places in between) this time of year.
    Yeehaw

Default overstating

Each year there are animal attacks at Yellowstone, but there have only been handfull of deaths from Grizzly or Bison attacks in the past 30 years. In almost every case of an attack, its been because the human provoked the animal by approaching it and/or getting closer than the park safety rules allow.

Wild animals are certainly dangerous, and it pays to remember that you aren't at a petting zoo. If you leave the animals alone, by viewing them from a distance and not approaching them, they will leave you alone.

Default Overstating, but agree with this one...

....yes, it is good to be more cautious when driving in the dark, and especially if you're up early and driving at dawn. This doesn't mean don't drive at all. But animals are harder to see at night and if you're driving in areas where elk/deer or other animals tend to cross (these will usually be marked), slowing down a tad makes sense. Keep your eyes peeled. At dawn, animals are often on the move so if you're up early, that's a good time to pay particularly good attention to any movement on the side of the road in case an animal crosses in front of you.

I've taken my car on numerous logging roads and other backroads areas where animals are frequent and into some national/state parks where animal encounters are also frequent. While my car has its share of dings and scratches, the only animal that has caused any of them was my own dog (jumping out of the car window/scratched door with hind-claws).

Any modern car should be fine with heat issues.