Me (28), my wife(29) and a friend(25) from NYC are scheduling a road trip from NYC to San Francisco and then back.
Trip length : 30 days
Drivers : 3 (we can shift). We have made big trips before where one of us slept on the back seat and one driving and a co-pilot :)
Car : Renting from Budget (standard size or fullsize)
Preliminary trip : NYC – Detroit – Chicago – Seattle – San Francisco – LA – San Diego – Las Vegas – Houston – Jacksonville – NYC
• Fuel : 7877 mi = 1260 $ (20 mi/gallon and 3.20 $/gallon)
• Car rental : 1500 $
• Food : 3 persons * 30 days = 3600 $ ≈ 40 $ person/day
• Hotel : 80 $ (big room for all of us) * 30 days = 2400 $
• Fun stuff : 3 persons * 30 days = 3150 $ ≈ 35 $ person/day
Total ≈ 12000 $ ≈ 4000 $ person
I do have couple of questions:
1. Is the trip too ambitious ?
2. Do we have time for visiting stuff as well or are we going to stay in the car most of those 30 days ?
3. Is the route interesting enough ? We are open to everything. We like beach, nature big cities and bars ☺
The route and the cities was chosen by looking on Google maps what cities could be interesting without knowing if they really are so we are open to input. I guess that when the trip has started we will make changes to the route. We might stay more time some places than other so we could skip cities as well if we fell to.