1. Default 3 weeks in Western US this July - advice please !

hi

I'm coming from the UK to spend 3 weeks in US. I will be starting & finishing at my uncle's (Camas WA, nr Portland).

I'm having difficulty deciding exactly what to do though !

I have some vague ideas at the moment, all of which probably involve several days at the beginnning staying in Camas & exploring WA from there.

Here are my (vague) thoughts:

- drive to Las Vegas from Portland, taking in at least some of the Pacific coast (hopefully including some of the most impressive/interesing bits) and maybe other places of interest... ?San Francisco, ? North California Redwoods etc.. I would then use Las Vegas as a base to see Grand Canyon & other "local" places (Death Valley, ? others). Then finish by driving to LA to meet up with a friend for a day or two there. Finally fly back to Portland / Camas for a day or 2 & then home. Presumably a one-way car hire would be (? a lot) more expensive than RTB ...

- fly (is that blasphemy on this forum ?!) to Las Vegas and explore that area of States in more detail than could be done in first option. Also go to LA as above

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

swayzak

Default not following

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There really is nothing wrong with a fly and drive type trip. Depending upon the circumstances, it can really be the best or even only way to do a trip.

I think the best thing to do is to look at the costs of a one way rental and a plane ticket versus the costs of driving both directions. Also include what you want to see. If you are planning to see some of the parks in Utah, for example, it might be easier just to continue north back to portland than to head back to Vegas. Driving also would open up more possibilities, for example a detour to Yellowstone could be possible if you drive both directions.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 05-12-2008 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Correcting My Own Stupidity

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There really is nothing wrong with a fly and drive type trip. Depending upon the circumstances, it can really be the best or even only way to do a trip.

I think the best thing to do is to look at the costs of a one way rental and a plane ticket versus the costs of driving both directions. Also include what you want to see. If you are planning to see some of the parks in Utah, for example, it might be easier just to continue north back to portland than to head back to Vegas. Driving also would open up more possibilities, for example a detour to Yellowstone could be possible if you drive both directions.
    Many thanks

It seems from further searching this site (including the sticky on this forum) that this particular neck of the woods is not an uncommon area of exploration (for both US & non-US people!

In fact the myriad of possibilities available are getting quite confusing .... it's hard to get a concrete plan together.

As I'm flying out on June 30th (on my own) I've got to really start getting it sorted now !

4. Default I can help!

I'm from Seattle, and i can tell you, you must check out my beautiful city! However, what i would suggest is, if you're flying into Portland International, start by driving up to Seattle, hanging out there. Then check out Vancouver, BC, an amazing city. I would actually fly to Vegas from Vancouver, it's usually cheaper that way. Then drive from Vegas back to Camas.

That's just what i would do. Hope that helps!

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by swayzak View Post
    As I'm flying out on June 30th (on my own) I've got to really start getting it sorted now !
    A rather random question to which you probably don't have an answer right now: Where do you plan to be on the 4th of July? You'll want to pick somewhere special for this most American of all holidays!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
    A rather random question to which you probably don't have an answer right now: Where do you plan to be on the 4th of July? You'll want to pick somewhere special for this most American of all holidays!
    Doh ! I hadn't thought of that - 4th kind of falls around the time I would be leaving my uncle's place at Camas to start the journey south. Maybe I should celebrate it with him ....

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Motor_Away View Post
    I'm from Seattle, and i can tell you, you must check out my beautiful city! However, what i would suggest is, if you're flying into Portland International, start by driving up to Seattle, hanging out there. Then check out Vancouver, BC, an amazing city. I would actually fly to Vegas from Vancouver, it's usually cheaper that way. Then drive from Vegas back to Camas.

That's just what i would do. Hope that helps!
    Thanks for that.

Yes I had considered going north, but decided I didn't want to cram too much in so felt I had to make a decision.

8. Default

Doh ! I hadn't thought of that - 4th kind of falls around the time I would be leaving my uncle's place at Camas to start the journey south. Maybe I should celebrate it with him ....
    We had hoped to be in the "real west" for July 4, and we had hoped to be able to see a real rodeo -- it just seemed so nostalgically Americana -- but our time frame just won't allow it. DH can't get off work 'til probably July 1, and we just can't make that many miles (safely or without sacraficing too many other things we want to see) before July 4.

Default 4th in Portland OR

I've never been to Portland on the 4th, but I'm pretty sure that there are some great fireworks over the Columbia River. I know that some of the river cruise ships/tour boats have special sailings on the 4th to watch the fireworks but I'm not sure exactly where they're done at. If they do it over the Columbia River, you should be able to see 'em just fine from the Washington side of the river. Something fun to check into!

10. Default Check around for rodeos...

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
    We had hoped to be in the "real west" for July 4, and we had hoped to be able to see a real rodeo -- it just seemed so nostalgically Americana -- but our time frame just won't allow it. DH can't get off work 'til probably July 1, and we just can't make that many miles (safely or without sacraficing too many other things we want to see) before July 4.

Check around -- there are lots of rodeos around, particularly if you get out of the big cities. For example, here is a list of rodeos in Washington state, most associated with city and county fairs (which are fun to do to, anyway...). Check around, and you'll probably want to double check the dates, but there's pretty good chances you can see one.