Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Laundry during camping trip

Hi everybody,

We have a practical question :

We are doing a 3-week road trip (rented car + tent in NV/UT/AZ/CA) starting at the end of this month and we've learned that there will be enough opportunities to do the laundry, but we wondered if we will also be able to iron our clothes ?

Thanks a lot for any information.

Lisa
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-11-2008 at 10:13 AM. Reason: added a link

Default Motels?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa&Jethro View Post
    we've learned that there will be enough opportunities to do the laundry, but we wondered if we will also be able to iron our clothes?
    These days, just about every motel in America features an iron and ironing board, but I don't recall seeing one being offered at campgrounds. However, if any of the campgrounds you will be staying at provide electrical hookups, you should be able to use them. But you would need to purchase an iron and carry it with you.

Perhaps more importantly, do you really need to iron your clothes?

Alternatively, you could always stop at a public laundromat and use their irons.

Mark

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    Perhaps more importantly, do you really need to iron your clothes?
    My thoughts exactly! Campers don't iron clothes! I'd suggest sticking to tees and polos rather than cotton button-down shirts.

Personally, I gave my iron to the Salvation Army years ago, and I haven't missed it. My husband wears dress shirts or polos and khakis to work most days, but I just pull his shirts out of the dryer fast and hang them before real wrinkles can set in. I do not buy 100% cotton. This only bothers him when he travels and his shirts have been wrinkled in the suitcase, but hotels always have an iron.

Default same here

I can say that I've never thought about using an iron during a camping trip. Having perfectly pressed clothes is rarely a big deal for me anyway, but that would be the last thing I would personally be worrying about during a vacation.

That said, if having ironed clothes will make you more comfortable, it really shouldn't be a problem. I'd buy a cheap iron, and then use it either at your campsite if you get an electric site, or just use it wherever it is you decide to do your laundry.

Default It is an interesting cultural issue

I have good friends from Australia who iron virtually of their clothing when on holiday, even t-shirts. I am ALWAYS the sloppiest dressed human around them.... Personally I would only purchase 100% cotton if I could get away with it. I like the feel and so these days I am either rumpled or freshly starched....

Mark

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default the IT Culture

I'm the classic IT person... wrinkled almost always. Even on the road (or especially on the road).

However, you might also consider a small ironing board and packing your own iron. Just in case you get stuck in a Motel 6 that may not have such items, they at least have a wall outlet you can use and the bed makes a perfect place to put the mini-ironing board. They're generally 3 feet long at the most. Might be something worth looking into if you're serious about ironing.

-Brad

Default Ironing...

It was never our intention to sound like ironing freaks :-) We don't iron all our clothes all the time ;-) But nevertheless, it seems that we iron a lot more than you do !

We don't think that we need to wash a lot during our holiday, but if we need to, we just wondered if ironing was also possible in public laundromats.

Thank you everybody for the information, we will wait and see, if the need is there, we'll find a solution.

Greetings,

Lisa

Default Extreme Ironing

Don't worry, you're not alone.

There's a club you could join made up of like-minded people. Maybe you could add some photos when you get back ;-)

Default That is a really funny site!

Peter,

Thanks for sharing that link -- What a hoot!

Mark

10. Default

Hi everyone.

Beside the fact that I'm new to this forum I just wanted to say hello and mention that extreme ironing can be really funny. We did that once on a hiking tour (just three friends ironing in nature :) and you should have seen the peoples faces. Priceless.