Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default San Fran to Vegas January 2009 for 4 days with RV Rental

Hi All,

I live in London, England and last year me, my wife, and another couple went to Vegas for a week, and loved it. We are planning on returning but wanted to add a road trip as well. We want to fly into San Franscisco and stay there a few days, then wanted to rent an RV for 4 days (3 nights) which sleep 4 adults and drive to Vegas and drop the RV off there. I would really appreciate any help on the following:

1) who or where can I call or visit website to rent an RV for 4 days from SF and drop off at Vegas? All the ones I've found so far have a minimum of 7 days?

2) I've seen lots of routes and plans already here, but as I'm both new to the RV world and from overseas. Any help with best routes, places to stop overnight directly relating to my trip would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for comments and advise.

Default is it worth it?

hi there and welcome.
    we are from england and had a great time in an r.v. but is it something that you really want to experience or just an option you have thought of?
    i ask as financially,[if in fact a one way drop off for a 3 night rental is possible?]it's not very viable as time you add all the costs up on top of the one way rental costs,which will include kitchen kits,personal kits [bedding,pillows etc]ins waivers and extra fuel you would prob be better off staying in accomodations for such a short period of time.
    sorry can't help with "who would rent us this"question.
    as for the route,well unfortunately you won't get over the tioga pass[hwy120]from yosemite in january,but it's possible to visit the valley floor and then head south to bakersfield and round the southern end of sierras and into death valley.other options would be to head south on the coast before cutting across or heading north to lake tahoe and then south,again through death valley

Default Is it worth it? Depends..

Hi Gommy,

Thanks for your reply. I guess I didn't really think of all the additional expenses involved in renting an RV. It was more for the experience (thought it be like camping, without the sleeping outside) then anything else. One of the other main reasons is that 2 of the group (my wife & friends husband) aren't keen on long road trips or for that matter sitting in a car. I figured with the room of the RV, then they can't complain (as much).

With regards to route, is there a reason I couldn't get over the Tioga Pass? is it closed? or isn't it a viable road during winter for an RV? I did want to do death valley and other parks. Not really interested in going down the coast. Want to travel the back streets of the US. If you seen it, think "Dave Gormans Unchained America".

Thanks for your reply. I guess I didn't really think of all the additional expenses involved in renting an RV. It was more for the experience (thought it be like camping, without the sleeping outside) then anything else. One of the other main reasons is that 2 of the group (my wife & friends husband) aren't keen on long road trips or for that matter sitting in a car. I figured with the room of the RV, then they can't complain (as much).
    you should'nt have to spend long periods of time in the car for the time you have to do your journey,you can do short stints and take plenty of breaks.although r.v's are "bigger" it's for that reason that you would actually spend more time in it,the journeys will take longer.also your not allowed to move around whilst on the go,they will need to be seat belted in and basically on the dinette sofa.[although comfy enough].
    although i don't sound like much of a "spokesman" for the r.v. camp [excuse the pun] i absolutely love it and the whole camping experience,i just think for the amount of time you have it's not really worth it.it really takes a couple of days to relax with it and how it operates and storing stuff properly. also i forgot to add that there are cleaning charges that can be quite hefty or else you need to spend a morning cleaning it inside and out as well as emptying the waste water etc. a week maybe,10 days definately,but 3 nights,mmm. sorry:(

With regards to route, is there a reason I couldn't get over the Tioga Pass? is it closed? or isn't it a viable road during winter for an RV? I did want to do death valley and other parks. Not really interested in going down the coast. Want to travel the back streets of the US. If you seen it, think "Dave Gormans Unchained America".
    exactly how we played it,after all we have our own lovely coasts to explore!
    tioga will be closed to all traffic due to snow,it normally closes nov and sometimes will not open untill into june.
    south from yosemite through oakhurst and to fresno there is the generals highway [hwy 180]thats a lovely drive to the giants forest[giant sequoia trees] but i think you may encounter the same problem of road closures.lake isabella and the kern valley is a nice area and kernville is a lovely little town for a stop over on the way to death valley.
    you maybe better of spending more time in d/v due to the time of year and this is a popular place to stop. there are the sand dunes near stovepipe wells and many other attractions along the way.
    if you don't mind scrolling through heres some pics from our trip that include a lot of these places

of course,as i said earlier you could always go north to lake tahoe and then south to mono lake and even take in a visit tobodie ghost town near mono.and then continue south to d/v.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 04-30-2008 at 05:27 AM. Reason: more links added

Default I've been swayed..

Gommy,

Thanks for your input, and yes you're a terrible 'spokesman' for renting an RV.

I think I'll probably go for the FLYDRIVE option now, and rent a large sedan or even Minivan (which is what I drive now).

Also really appreciate the advice on route planning. I've had a look through your posting, and there are some fantastic pictures, and it's pretty much what I was looking to do & see. I think once we've booked the dates for flights, I'll probably post another query on here to get a detailed itenary going. Hope you don't mind keeping an eye out for my posting and can help with planning the route(s).

Cheers,
    Ribby

if you revisit at anytime with a longer stay,definately go for the rv option:) [looking for redemption,haa haa!].
    post up on this thread when your ready, and ask away and i'll help in anyway i can but there are also people here with more knowledge than me to help ,but there day is only just starting across the pond,that'll be why it's a bit quiet in here,lol!

Default A mini-van would be better, I think!

I'm glad you made that choice, RibbyRT.

I pretty much agree with gommy on the RV issue so I'm glad you made that choice.

You might enjoy the links in this post to help you get started on planning the trip itself. You also might use the search tool in the green bar above to find some other posts on the areas you're planning on going through. These should give you some ideas.

We're here to help when you're ready to start planning the details of your trip.

Default Dates and Cities Sorted

Hi Judy & Gommy,

Well, we've taken comments on board, and have made a few changes to our plans. We've now booked our flights, and we're landing in San Francisco, and flying out of Vegas. However, we've now added LA, and Pheonix to the itinerary.

I've rented an SUV (4 people plus luggage) and we want to drive from San Fran to LA then onto Pheonix then VEGAS.

We'd like to keep driving down to a minimum but we also want to avoid major highways (boring) and want to see 'real america'. A few nice parks or stops on the way would be fab.

Thanks in advance.

Ribby

Default timeline

Are you still planning to do this trip in 4 days/3 nights? If so, its going to be pretty much impossible to cover the kind of distances you are looking at without spending almost all day driving on freeways. Each of the cities you've listed are basically a full days drive apart.

When you say you are looking for "real america" what exactly is it that you are trying to find? Maybe its just that I've never seen "fake america" or that I've seen too many people think that america in the movies is "real america," but I never really know how to answer that kind of question.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Are you still planning to do this trip in 4 days/3 nights? If so, its going to be pretty much impossible to cover the kind of distances you are looking at without spending almost all day driving on freeways. Each of the cities you've listed are basically a full days drive apart.
    Sorry, I didn't include the dates. We've extended the trip, so it's going to be 7 days from the time we land to the time we reach Vegas. 1 week car rental. The amount of time we are going to spend in each city hasn't been decided yet (other then Vegas which we're staying for 6 nights). We're pretty flexible with where and how long up to a certain point.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    When you say you are looking for "real america" what exactly is it that you are trying to find? Maybe its just that I've never seen "fake america" or that I've seen too many people think that america in the movies is "real america," but I never really know how to answer that kind of question.
    It's the comment I made back on the 30th of April about a program that was here in the UK called 'unchained america'. McDonalds, Disney, Gap are the same no matter which country you go to, so it's not 'fake' it's just blog standard. We're more intersted in seeing places and doing things that aren't available here in the UK. Does that explain it better?