1. Default Moving - San Diego to New Jersey!

I have been browsing your threads and you guys seem to give great advice.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on inserting/changing our "itinerary" (me plus 2) for driving the "Southern Route" back home. Included are all the key cities we want to hit. I tried to include some extra time for places, but if based on experience anyone has suggestions for an extra stop/city along the way, it would be much appreciated. I know this is VERY much "best case scenario" and would love expert input.

I'm mostly stuck on Roswell to TX (suggestions to stop along the way?), and really not sure what to do or where to go between Memphis and NJ. We have talked about going south through Atlanta then back up, or perhaps North through Pittsburgh, but don't know whats best. We are will to add another 2 or 3 days!

Thanks for any help :)

Day 1, Saturday May 31st: San Diego to Las Vegas, 4 hours and 52 minutes (stay over)

Day 2, Sunday June 1st: Grand Canyon, 4 hours and 27 minutes (stay over?)

Day 3, Monday June 2nd: Grand Canyon to Roswell, NM, 9 hours and 3 minutes (too scared to stay over?)

Day 4, Tuesday June 3rd: Roswell, NM to Austin, TX, 9 hours and 2 minutes (stay for an extra day?)

Day 5, Wednesday June 4th: Austin TX

Day 6, Thursday June 5th: Austin TX, to Houston, Tx, 2 hours and 53 minutes

Day 7, Friday June 6th: New Orleans

Day 8, Saturday June 7th: New Orleans, LA (afternoon?) to Memphis, TN, 5 hours and 54 minutes

Day 9, Sunday June 8th: Memphis, TN

Day 10, Monday June 9th: Memphis, TN to somewhere to sleep, Johnson City, TN? (7 hours 26 minutes)

Day 11, Tuesday June 10th: From sleepy place to Washington, DC (6 hours, 41 minutes)

Day 12, Wednesday June 11th: DC to NJ (4 hours 41 minutes)

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

One thing I can see from your estimated times is that you are being a bit too trusting of the online mapping sites. These times generally do not figure in things like traffic, construction, or the occasional highway accident that can make an estimated 7-hour trip turn into a 9-hour one. There also isn't any figuring in for taking a break every few hours, which I, and many others here, have found to be crucial to keeping a trip enjoyable. Though I usually do still document how long it takes to get somewhere, I've lost the desire to "make time" (except on the occasional speed run) and have found it much more enjoyable to ease up and take in the scenery around me.

Anyway, I don't know that one way is "better" than another, but if you have the additional 2-3 days of time and budget, by all means use it! Which areas are you most interested in exploring? Have you always wanted to check out Atlanta? Or Pittsburgh? I think with the route you've planned out, Atlanta would be more feasible.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Driving time problems

I do agree that your drive times are probably a bit optimistic. Most of us here agree that it's best to use 57mph as an average west of the Mississippi (and 53mph east of it) and divide your total miles by those figures. These averages will typically include time for brief food/fuel/bio breaks and give you a bit more accurate driving time estimate. Although things do vary and there is no exact way to figure these.

I don't get the Roswell stop. I love Roswell, so don't get me wrong. It's a fun and funny place to visit. But I don't see any way you'll have time to get there in time to visit the Alien Museum. I'm sure you'll be arriving well after 5pm and it will be closed then.

And, gosh, on your way to Austin, you're going quite near the Carlsbad Caverns. Awesome place. It would be a shame to be so close and not try to carve out time to see it.

Overall, I think you are going through some really cool places. However, I don't see where you've budgeted much time, if any, to explore them. If you're cool with just doing a whistle-stop style tour, then you'll have a great time. If you're wanting to explore these places a bit, then I think you might be setting yourself up for some disappointment.