1. Default Austin TX to Chicago

Hey my friend and I are planning a road trip up to Chicago this June and we want to take in as much as we can on the road. On the way up we are taking I-35 to I-44 to I-55, but on the way back home we are open to any kind of suggestions to avoid highways and maybe go through Arkansas. If anyone has a random roadside destination or diner or whatever, please let us know! We're also open to day trips from Chicago, as we will be there for 2 weeks. Thanks and Gig 'Em!

Tucson, AZ

Default Some General Ideas

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you're looking for day trips from Chicago, there's plenty of Lincolnania if you're into history, the Indiana Sand Dunes National Lakeshore for some pristine lake front surprisingly close to the city, and don't overlook things in Chicago itself such as the world-class Field Natural History Museum, the Cubs and/or White Sox, etc. On the way back to Austin, I think you'd be hard put to do better than the Great River Road down through such great cities and towns as Hannibal, St. Louis, Ste. Genevieve, Cairo, and Memphis before turning west through Arkansas and Hot Springs National Park.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Route 66

This would look like a great time to check out the Mother Road either on the way to Chicago or back.

You can pick up 66 in Oklahoma City and it is close by the interstates thge rest of the way.

By Springfield, Illinois, check out the Abraham Lincoln sites, Bill Shea's and, of course, the Cozy Dog. Spend the night at the Route 66 Hotel.