Thread: GPS Maps

1. Default GPS Maps

I recently got a TOM TOM GPS and wanted to know if I could download free maps from anywhere. Also, could I plan my trip online (like at yahoo travel or something) and then download it onto the GPS?

Tucson, AZ

Default Yes and No

I did a web search for TomTom downloads and did find a few that offered free trials but none that I would trust on a machine I owned, if for no other reason than my free trial period might end just as I was getting myself lost. Remember that you're really asking how to get something for nothing. Like most data based services, TomTom makes its money by selling information, the hardware is often a loss leader. Then again, like the downloads you'll get for free, my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Last edited by AZBuck; 04-27-2008 at 09:46 AM.

3. Default re: Yes and No

There are a lot of things on the internet that are free- like wikipedia, wallpaper, quicktime, special effects for editing software, this forum, etc. I just spent over $300 for a GPS and not looking for "something for nothing"- I just wanted to update or change the map and before I spend more money doing that- I wanted to see if there was an alternative.

I own 3 Macs and there is tons of free software and shareware that I can download online. Just trying to be smart about my GPS, something I'm just learning about.

Thanks for the comments.