Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Linda Guest

Default Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Yosemite, San Francisco

Hi Everyone

My husband and I come from New Zealand and we will be commencing a road trip from LA, Las Vegas, Yosemite, San Francisco and back to LA for approx 18 days in late June / early July. We would like suggestions on mainly a road trip from Las Vegas to San Francisco for approx 5 days. We are in our 50's and reasonably fit and mobile and we enjoy walking and hiking. We do not want to be too rushed as we want to enjoy our trip and have time to see the scenery and meet people. We would also appreciate some accommodation suggestions as there seems to be such a choice. Avge price say around $120.00 US for couple. Is the Tioga Pass too scary? at this time of year. After all we are too old to be adrenilin junkies and do like to keep things reasonably safe. Also day or 2 day excusions in the Yosemite National Park would also be great if there are some to recommend.
    Last edited by Linda; 04-24-2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Spelling

Default Good Choices

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

For starters, you should probably read through these discussions of a variety of trips through that area to get an idea of the breadth of what's available to you. Certainly each of the parks, forests and wildlife refuges in that region offers hikes to meet all levels of fitness or enthusiasm, so check their web sites and also ask at the visitor centers when you arrive for up to the minute information. If Tioga Pass is open it can be a very scenic and thoroughly delightful drive. Scary is not a term I would apply to it. As for accommodations in your price range, I think I'd be looking for Bed and Breakfasts. As discussed elsewhere in these forums, B&Bs in America tend to be a little more upscale than foreign visitors are used to in their home countries, but they are certainly available for $100-$150 per night. In addition they let you spend time in a more home-like setting than hotels and motels, and they give you a chance to talk to your hosts.

AZBuck

Default i'd second that!

hi there, the tioga pass is a beautifull drive and can be done at a leisurely pace with plenty of viewpoints and turnouts along the way.with 5 days to spare,a trip across death valley from vegas and a possible stop at furnace creek is very popular.. once you enter yosemite valley there is a very good[and free]shuttle bus operation that runs very frequently and will take you to all the main trial heads for a walk or hike in the valley,it's truly an amazing place. i would recommend you take a drive up to glacier point on the other side of the valley, the view is one of my all time favorites.
    these links may help with some ideas n.p.s site and this one has has some good info by using the links on the page.
    have a great trip!

Linda Guest

Would you advise travelling over the Tioga Pass in one day or making a stop. It appears most of the accommodation facilities and tourist day trips commence on the east side of Yosemite National Park. Is this correct. Also will we need to book in late June. Thanks

Default a day will be fine

a day will give you plenty of time to cross tioga and do a little exploring[although you could spend a week hiking and only scratch the surface,with all the surrounding area].a start from lee vining/mono lake at the east entrance [tioga] would put you right on the doorstep of tioga pass for a full day.it would be advisable to[make that strongly advise] book accomodations either in yosemite[maybe to late now]by way of the n.p.s.link given earlier or the surrounding area ,here are some listings that may help with your search.
    not quite sure why you would want a tourist day trip? as i mentioned earlier, once you get into the main park on the valley floor the shuttle buses,or hire bikes are a great way to get around and see what you want when you want.

Linda Guest

Thankyou for being patient with my questions. Will book some accommodation in the next day or so over the internet. Now this one will make you laugh but I need to know. If we go hiking around the park how much of a problem are bears and snakes. From the National Park website they seem to be quite common. You see we do not have these in NZ so we are not familiar on how to deal with them.

Default no problem

i don't know of any statistics as such,but your almost sure to have more chance of being struck by lightning than having a nasty encounter with a bear [or snake] especially on the popular trials.
    although you should take there guidelines about food storage seriously. i was actually dissapointed i did'nt get to see one whilst there,haa haa!
    bear info.

Linda Guest

Thanks again but funny you should mention lightning. A bloke and his horse were struck by lightening a couple of weeks ago during a storm in the north of NZ. Both died instantly. But I notice you are from Sth England and once we leave the US we are heading to the UK. I have two sons in London. We are going to buy/hire a mobile home and then travel into Ireland, then back to the UK for the World Firefighter Games in Liverpool at the end of August. After that we will head into Europe and try and keep ahead of winter. Our whole trip will be approx 15 months. Can you recommend any dealers re the mobile homes. We have looked at the sale and buy back option. This we think will suit us better than a straight hire. Also Motorhome Associations we can join so we can access to their Directories of Camp sites etc which will also go throrugh Europe. Gee talk about put you under pressure. But I will return the favour if you decide to head to NZ.

Default Mobile Homes vs. Recreational Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    We are going to buy/hire a mobile home and then travel into Ireland,
    I don't know about the word convention in the UK, but in the United States, a "mobile home" has no means of self-propulsion -- it is only equipped to be towed and usually is only found on the road when moving between the factory and a land lot. A recreational vehicle is either a trailer or a self-contained motorized unit. Here is an overview of how they are classed here.
    Also Motorhome Associations we can join so we can access to their Directories of Camp sites etc which will also go throrugh Europe. Gee talk about put you under pressure. But I will return the favour if you decide to head to NZ.
    You should consider Good Sam for their 10% discount and either Woodall's or Trailer Life Camping Guides. I regret that our reviews are so out of date -- we have a 2008 Guide sitting in the office waiting for someone to do a review....Plus, here is the authoritative guide for RVing in Europe. And you might consider using one of these motorhome exchange services!

In my former life, I was struck (or nearly so) by lightning on a wildfire. Pretty dingy for a few hours.

Mark

Linda Guest

Thanks. Have followed through the internet some of your leads and saved them to my favourites so I don't lose them.