Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default August tenting: SFO - Yosemite - Tetons - Yellowstone - Glacier NP

Dear fellow RTA members,

We are couple from Australia visiting SFO - Yosemite - Tetons - Yellowstone - Glacier NP this summer. We have already booked airfares, accommodation in SF and Yosemite campgrounds (I am glad I stayed at 1am local time as sites disappeared within seconds of being released...). We will be tenting and using motels on “driving days”. We love nature (especially mountains) and want to spend as much time as possible hiking etc and as little as possible driving (I know it is unavoidable as USA is huge...).

• Specifically I need your suggestions for section between Lake Tahoe toward Tetons. What is your suggestion is it better to drive via Winnemucca and Idaho Falls or Garden City or something else? Any stops along the way?

• Also we would like to see rodeo events. We are currently planning to go to the "Montana Cowboy Mounted Shooting Competition" on Aug/23 in Bozeman and “Jefferson County Rodeo” in Boulder on Aug/24. Would you recommend doing that or attending rodeo at West Yellowstone? I thought event at West Yellowstone may be too much touristy and not genuine American experience – what are your thoughts please?

• Would you strongly suggest some reshuffling of my schedule and why?

• Also suggestions of “not to miss day hikes” in Tetons are appreciated (I have guide books for other destinations).

Following is our itinerary

1-Aug Friday SF Arrive/Rest
    2-Aug Saturday SF - Golden Gate/Fisherman's wharf
    3-Aug Sunday SF - Alcatraz
    4-Aug Monday SF - Height
    5-Aug Tuesday SF - SFMOMA / East Bay (Oakland, Berkeley)
    6-Aug Wednesday Get Car drive to Yosemite 5 hours - 300km - set camp at Yosemite - CRANE FLAT
    7-Aug Thursday Yosemite - Explore valley
    8-Aug Friday Yosemite - Explore valley
    9-Aug Saturday Yosemite - Explore south, Glacier point - Mariposa Grove sequoias
    10-Aug Sunday Yosemite (Drive Tioga pass road, set camp at Tuolumne Meadows pm, walkabout)
    11-Aug Monday Yosemite - Explore Tuolumne Meadows
    12-Aug Tuesday Drive to Lake Tahoe via Mono Lake (5 hours 300km / 3 hours 200km from Mono Lake)
    13-Aug Wednesday Lake Tahoe, leave 3pm drive toward Winnemucca (4 hours, 350km), sleep motel
    14-Aug Thursday Drive toward Idaho Falls (730km, 10 hours on the road) or Garden City UT (770km)
    15-Aug Friday Tetons - arrive Jackson after 3 hours drive (160km from Idaho Falls, 240km from Garden City)
    16-Aug Saturday Tetons - Jenny Lake
    17-Aug Sunday Tetons - Float on Snake river
    18-Aug Monday Tetons - hike
    19-Aug Tuesday Yellowstone
    20-Aug Wednesday Yellowstone
    21-Aug Thursday Yellowstone
    22-Aug Friday Yellowstone
    23-Aug Saturday Leave Yellowstone early, drive via Gallatin to Bozeman - (Attend "Montana Cowboy Mounted Shooting Competition", main show at 6pm)
    24-Aug Sunday drive toward Glacier NP, stop to visit Jefferson County Rodeo in Boulder (NRA Rodeo at 2pm) (150 km / 2 hours from Bozeman)
    25-Aug Monday Arrive Glacier NP after 400km approx 6 hours drive from Boulder
    26-Aug Tuesday Glacier NP - Rest / Explore Lake McDonald locally
    27-Aug Wednesday Glacier NP - Going to the Sun Road; Avalanche Lake trail (3-4 hours); Finish in Many Glacier / Swiftcurrent Lake
    28-Aug Thursday Glacier NP - Drive Chief Mountain International Hwy to Waterton (80km, 2 hours); Waterton; Boat ride; Red Rock Canyon;
    29-Aug Friday Glacier NP - in the afternoon drive to Two Medicine (130km, 3 hours) then retrace Going to The Sun Road or use Hwy 2 to Apgar
    30-Aug Saturday Drive to Kalispell in the morning, (60km, 1 hour from Apgar), Depart USA approx 4 PM
    31-Aug Sunday Fly
    1-Sep Monday Arrive Sydney am - go to work…

Many Thanks!!!
    Nik

2. Default Sounds Like Fun

I visited and hiked in Grand Teton/Yellowstone area last year and will be heading to Glacier National Park for nine nights in September this year. The best trail according that I hiked in Grand Teton (and one which was highly recommended to me) was the Cascade Canyon hike. You can take a short boat ride across Jenny Lake from the Jenny Lake Campground (where I was staying) and then hike up to Inspiration Point and a gorgeous waterfall in the first mile (which is what most of the tourists are there for and where they stop); but after that the trail continued for several miles up into a canyon between the gorgeous mountain peaks. I observed a family of moose from about 30-50 yards away for about an hour during the hike. The entire hike is spectacular; the steepest part of the hike is the first mile although is continues gradually uphill the entire hike. The first boat is either 9AM or 10AM, can't remember and the return trips continue late into the afternoon. You can hike around the lake and avoid the need for the boat ride but that adds an additional 2 to 2.5 miles each way.
    Last edited by toddnick; 04-24-2008 at 05:27 AM.

Default Side trip Winnemucca to Jackson segment, rodeo, rendezvous

Hello Nik-

While I haven't yet visited the region, I'm presently planning a trip including the NE corner of Nevada. I will probably settle on a pass-through from Mountain Home, ID, south to Elko, NV, passing through the Duck Valley Reservation at the ID-NV border, thence through Mountain City, NV and Jack Spring, NV enroute to Elko.

There are some pictures and text concerning back-country driving (but not "severe" off-road travel) in the NE Nevada and NW Utah area at www.desertislands.org. It would seem that your traverse of the NV-ID-UT tri-corner area could include a very out-of-the-way "corner cut" and take in some scenery which few Aussies or Americans ever see.

While I'm reluctant to be critical of a rodeo I've never seen, my first trip to West Yellowstone, MT, in summer 2000, will likely be my last. If the rodeo there isn't 100% touristy, it would seem likely be the only event in West Yellowstone which isn't. I imagine there are quite a number of local/regional rodeos whereas it's a very popular sport amongst the locals Out West, and there are quite likely a number of leagues or associations with rodeo schedules posted on the Internet. Right there in Winnemucca, NV, SE Idaho, or many parts of UT or MT (where Dillon, MT comes to mind), would be likely areas to see local/regional rodeo.

If rodeo appeals to you, be aware of other quite genuine Western US events referred to as Rendezvous. "Mountain Man" Rendezvous originated in the 1800s as gatherings of fur trappers and traders and reenactors keep the tradition alive today. I just now looked at the websites for a couple of the larger rendezvous scheduled for Summer 2008 and they precede the Wyoming + Montana sections of your trip, but I would imagine some Internet research could find one or two you could check out if you were interested.

Enjoy your planning and the trip.

Foy

Default Thumbs up to Mountain Men

I agree with Foy. I went to one of these rendezous quite a few years back and really enjoyed it. More than I've enjoyed rodeos. If you want a hint or real "old west flavor", you really can't beat it.

Foy may be right on his assessment of West Yellowstone but I'm not sure how it applies to your trip since you don't seem to be going there at all and your rodeo is not there either. Confused?

I would recommend getting Yellowstone and Glacier campsites reserved ASAP as well. Both are also very popular parks, especially Yellowstone.

I see no problems with your route. You've got that one long day of driving but that's no big deal since you're not doing it for multiple days and are doing so much outdoor stuff on the other days.

• Specifically I need your suggestions for section between Lake Tahoe toward Tetons. What is your suggestion is it better to drive via Winnemucca and Idaho Falls or Garden City or something else? Any stops along the way?
    I would go via Winnemuca/Idaho Falls taking 93 from Wells NV to Twin Falls. I just don't think you're going to see much different scenery between the two and this should be a bit easier, quicker drive.

Default Another good catch, Judy

Yeah, I now clearly see it's the "either/or" with regards to Jefferson Co Rodeo in Boulder, MT vs. the West Yellowstone event. And I reminded myself where Boulder is (just north of Butte). Oh yeah, that one has GOT to be the real thing. I would imagine a rodeo set up for tourists at West Yellowstone would be flashier, have more in the way of trick riding, pageantry, etc. But for a genuine Montana local/regional rodeo, Jefferson County is where I'd go.

Also a good catch on the US 93 from Wells to Twin Falls. I should hasten to note that the July-August timeframe is perhaps not the ideal time to bushwhack from Elko, NV to Mountain Home, ID. An excursion on a side road and a breakdown could be deadly when there's no shade or water for many, many miles, and the temp is +100 deg F.

Foy

6. Default

Toddnick, Foy and Judy,

Many Thanks for your suggestions.

I am "penciling in" Cascade Canyon hike in Tetons.

Will go US 80 +93 from Lake Tahoe to Tetons and will look to stop at Angel Lake near Elko, Nevada, to break the journey. Found it at www.desertislands.org and it looks like a short detour.

I have also tried to find Mountain Men event along the route but they seem to be all happening either earlier or later then my schedule. So I guess I will go to the "Montana Cowboy Mounted Shooting Competition" on Aug/23 in Bozeman and “Jefferson County Rodeo” in Boulder, MTon Aug/24.

Thanks and Regards!
    Nik

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    1-Aug Friday SF Arrive/Rest
    2-Aug Saturday SF - Golden Gate/Fisherman's wharf
    3-Aug Sunday SF - Alcatraz
    I cannot help with the majority of your plans, but I can comment on a few things here: Golden Gate bridge, Fisherman's wharf, and Alcatraz can easily fit into one day. Once you're at Fisherman's wharf, you can SEE Alcatraz across the bay -- it's just a short boat ride over, and the tours (including transportation) are just a couple hours total. Since that'll be your first full day in the US, you will likely be tired from traveling. You can easily sleep late, hit the pier for a nice lunch (Fisherman's wharf really isn't all that much to see -- it's just well publicized), do the Alcatraz thing (which, by the way is amazing), and see the bridge on the way back to the hotel . . . this frees up a whole day, which can be another hike or a relaxing day later in the trip.

Something to add to the SanFran portion of your trip: The redwood forests are a short drive out of the city -- is it Muir or Murr woods? You shouldn't be that near the redwoods and pass them by!

Default Congrats on the promotion!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
    I cannot help with the majority of your plans, but I can comment on a few things here: Golden Gate bridge, Fisherman's wharf, and Alcatraz can easily fit into one day.
    With this post, you have now been promoted to Road Warrior!
    is it Muir or Murr woods?
    It is Muir Woods -- as in "John Muir"

Mark

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    With this post, you have now been promoted to Road Warrior! It is Muir Woods -- as in "John Muir"

Mark
    Cool -- thanks!

I couldn't remember the spelling of the place (and I'm too tired to go dig out my photographs), but I sure remember the place!

10. Default

Thanks Mrs Pete,

Your suggestion provided me with an extra day which I can use to see Muir Woods. I found link which may be helpful to other members for the public transport from SF to Muir Woods as I will not have car yet at that stage.

Regards
    Nik
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-24-2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Preferred URL format herein