Default Austin Tx to Taos NM

looking for the best way to do the drive, mapquest is full of it when it comes to directions and i want a fun curvy empty road in the mountains any ideas??

Default Have you checked out paper maps?

It's not unusual for a paper atlas to give you a better picture of terrain so you might want to pour over a paper map, too.

Or Google maps might help you better for this. One of the cool features of Google maps is that you can select an "avoid highways" feature. You're more likely to find out what you're seeking on backroads so this is a handy feature. You can also view your route using satellite images or terrain to get an idea of what your route will be like.

The only stretches of road that seem to fit your desires are 104 from Tucumcari NM to Las Vegas NM, and 518 from Las Vegas NM to Taos NM.

thanks ill do that

Default NM Hwy. 518

NM Hwy. 518 is a really nice drive, taking you up through the Sangre de Cristos to Taos. One route you could take would be:

Austin, TX – Lubbock – Clovis, NM - Fort Sumner - Santa Rosa - US Hwy. 84 to Las Vegas, NM - NM Hwy. 518 to Taos.

View north from the I-40/US 84 junction.

As you approach Las Vegas you get a nice view of Hermit Peak.

NM Hwy. 518 heads north out of Las Vegas toward the mountains.

The mill at La Cueva.

When you reach the town of Mora, you're almost to the mountains.

View from Holman Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    The only stretches of road that seem to fit your desires are 104 from Tucumcari NM to Las Vegas NM, and 518 from Las Vegas NM to Taos NM.
    I haven’t been on much of NM 104, just a short stretch near Conchas Lake, but I’m sure this would be an interesting drive. 104 doesn’t go through any mountains, it’s mesa and canyon country until you reach the plains east of Las Vegas, NM. If you wanted to go this way, your route might look something like this:

Austin, TX – Amarillo – Tucumcari, NM - NM Hwy.104 to Las Vegas, NM - NM Hwy. 518 to Taos.

NM 104 near Conchas Lake.

Looking west out over Conchas Lake. NM 104 goes out through those hills on the horizon.

A little closer view.

Default From the East

A Number of years ago I was traveling on I-25, when I decided to get off the Interstate "just because." I wound up taking US-64 which ended up in Taos. I don't remember many details, but I remember it was a nice late afternoon drive. I stopped at a little restaurant on the south end of town, had some "New Mexican Food" and then continued down NM-68 back towards Santa Fe and the Interstate.

Its just another option to consider.