1. Default New York - San Francisco

Hello everyone,

I'm planning a 30 day summer roadtrip for August. As I have to visit some friends in the way, the final route would be something like this:

New York-Buffalo
    Buffalo-Detroit
    Detroit-Chicago
    Chicago-Louisville
    Louisville-Nashville
    Nashville-St.Louis
    St.Louis-Kansas City
    Kansas City - Dodge City
    Dodge City - Amarillo
    Amarillo - Roswell
    Roswell - El Paso
    El Paso - Albuquerque
    Albuquerque - Flagstaff
    Flagstaff - Las Vegas
    Las Vegas - Tijuana
    Tijuana - Los Angeles
    Los Angeles - San Francisco

Can you give some tips? Too much miles for only 30 days?

What do you think?

Thanks,

Borja

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I don't think that's too much to ask in 30 days. It takes about 5 days to go from coast to coast, so you're in really good shape there. It also seems that the distances between each location are easily reachable in a day of moderate driving.

The real question at this point would be what is your budget for this trip?

3. Default

Thanks for your quick reply Tim!

We have a budget of 4700-5500 dollars. What kind of motels/hotels can we afford with this money? Bear in mind that 5 or 6 days of the whole trip will be free as we'll be sleeping in friends houses.

Thanks!

Default Good route!

You're looking at roughly 3800 miles but you'll want to pad that for side-trips and driving around so I'd guesstimate your trip to be closer to 5500 miles when done. I think before you figure out how much you'll have left for motels, you need to figure your fuel and food costs. These suggestions will help you walk through that process. Since food costs can vary so much depending on how you plan to eat, and can be a bigger part of your budget than lodging if you decide to go more high-end, I think you need to figure how you plan on handling meals first before you figure lodging costs. Also, don't cut yourself short on fun money for entry fees, parking, entertainment, etc.

Why don't you work through the process and figure out your guesstimated budget and post what you come up with so we can help you fine-tune it?

5. Default Expense plan

Ok Judy, so here is my approximate roadtrip expense plan. I'm going with one friend, so I'll calculate each price per person:

-Flights - 1360$ (We're taking 3 flights, Barcelona-New York, SF-NY, NY-Barcelona)

-Car rental - 2050$ / 2 = 1025$ per person (I looked this at Hertz.com. Any suggestion about any other cheap rental company?)

-Gasoline - 690$ (I've calculated this with the numbers you gave in another forum post. Miles: 5500. 20mpg and the cost of the gasoline would be 2,5$/gallon). Are this numbers ok if we plan to rent a Ford Focus? 690/2 = 345$

-Hotels/Motels: We plan to sleep 25 nights abroad (the other 5 will be in friend’s houses). If the motels cost 40$ per night then we have 1000$ / 2 = 500$

-Meals: The cheap way!! (we’re not going to the Bellaggio's restaurant..) so I've thought of 50$ per day. Total=1500$ Do you think we'll have enough with this?

Total cost of the roadtrip = 4730$

So here you have it... what do you think?

Thanks!!

6. Default Expense plan

Hello, this is Marco from Barcelona, I'm doing this trip with Jawks!

After reading your comments and taking a look at the 'suggestions' link i'd like to give my opinion here...

I would say more for the average hotel per night price since I think that in bigger cities or tourists areas it will probably be expensive. As I read before in Judie's suggestions, I think calculating 50 bucks per night would be more appropiated.

Jawks, I think we are missing the activities-souvenirs-emergency funds...
    in my opinion we will spend a whole lot of money on this. Just to put some examples, $75 per person if we want to take a plane to see the gran canyon, the nights in Las Vegas doing some mad blackjacks, going out at night and spending too much in beers... I would easily add up to $800-$1000 on stuff like this counting some souvenirs and some emergency spendings (having to sleep in an expensive hotel one night because there is nothing else and we are too tired to keep driving)

In conclusion I would leave it in $5655-5855 (aprox 3600€) adding $10 more per night and 800-1000 for activities-souvenirs-emergencies

What do you guys think?

regards,
    Marco
    Last edited by Marcopolo; 04-24-2008 at 07:36 AM.

Default Inflation

Your gas prices will be way off. Unfortantly, that post was from I believe 2 years ago when gas was $2.50 per gallon. Today the price is at $3.50, and will likely be up to $4 within the next month. On a postive note, a Focus should get closer to 25-30 mpg, if not more. I'd budget about $900 total for gas expenses. The fuel cost calculator on the left side of the screen should help you if you need more help.

I'd also say that $40 for a motel might now be a little low. I think I'd budget $50 per night would be more accurate as an average. There will be some nights where you find a room for $40, but there will also be some nights where $60 is the cheapest you will find.

The one other thing you've left off is extra spending money. That one's not as easy to calculate, because it will depend upon how much stuff you buy, or how many places (admission fees) you want to go. I think you'd want at least $500 a piece for that for a monthlong trip, but that's just very very rough ballpark guess.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-25-2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added a link to the Fuel Cost Calculator

Default A good start

I think Marcopolo's estimate is a lot closer, especially because of the spending/fun money issue. Of course, getting the cost of a car rental nailed down is the main issue you need to resolve to get the best estimate for all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by jawks View Post
    -Car rental - 2050$ / 2 = 1025$ per person (I looked this at Hertz.com. Any suggestion about any other cheap rental company?)
    Rental fees vary a lot per company. Dates will also be a factor. The best thing you can do is visit the websites for the major rental companies, plus in your travel dates, pick-up and drop-off locations, choose your size vehicle, determining what options you might need, and choosing the foreign visitor option as those prices are usually less than for Americans for some reason, and then see what rates you are quoted. Be sure you understand what the rates cover. You will want things like unlimited mileage. And be sure you select the proper pick-up/drop-off locations so that the drop-off fee will be calculated in. They all have this fee so you'll just have to bite that bullet.

After you get all these quotes, you'll just have to carefully compare them. Again, be sure you're only getting what you need in terms of extra insurance, etc. and compare prices accordingly.

The major carriers are Hertz, Avis, National, Nationwide, Budget....at least these are all that are popping into my head. I rent cars so very seldom that I'm not gonna be much more help with this.

-Gasoline - 690$ (I've calculated this with the numbers you gave in another forum post. Miles: 5500. 20mpg and the cost of the gasoline would be 2,5$/gallon). Are this numbers ok if we plan to rent a Ford Focus? 690/2 = 345$
    Michael's right. $4 a gallon would be more accurate for this summer. I also think about $900-950 for gas would be a good target.

-Hotels/Motels: We plan to sleep 25 nights abroad (the other 5 will be in friend’s houses). If the motels cost 40$ per night then we have 1000$ / 2 = 500$
    It is tough to find lodging in the $40/night range. It would take some research before you go. More often than not, those rates are usually best found when you reserve via the internet. But this doesn't give you much flexibility unless you stop and do it as you go along on your trip. $50-60/night is going to be more common.

Be aware that it will be harder to find these rates in major cities. You're far more likely to find these types of rates along the highway a bit away from cities, in the suburbs, etc. If you stay in a city, you might be paying more like $70-90/night.

If you're OK with camping, you can often find campsites for $15-25/night. If you didn't want to bring camping gear over on the plane, you could buy inexpensive stuff at a big box store that would pay for itself in about a week or so. But if you don't camp most nights, it probably wouldn't be worth it...unless you just want the fun experience of it, that is. That is priceless, imho.

-Meals: The cheap way!! (we’re not going to the Bellaggio's restaurant..) so I've thought of 50$ per day. Total=1500$ Do you think we'll have enough with this?
    $50/day per person is do-able. You can cut food costs even more if you eat out of your cooler for at least some of your meals.

I don't see any budget for entrance fees, parking fees, entertainment, souvenirs, etc. I agree with Michael that you'll probably want a good $500 each for that. Even that isn't a lot for 30 days but it should work if you make good choices. Heck, for example, in St. Louis going up in The Arch is a must-do. It has a fee. And you might have to pay for parking, too. That's just one example of the many things you'll want to budget for

I'm thinking along these lines:
    Fuel: $900 ($450 each)
    Hotels: $60 x 25 nights + $1500 ($750 each)
    Food: your $1500 is do-able so let's stick with that ($750 each)
    Fun money: $500 each

That's $2450 each before your car rental and flight.

Note to Michael: Thanks for editing the Bucks for the Basics post to reflect inflation. I had the same idea and made some additional changes to better reflect current pricing.

9. Default New questions

Hey Judy, thanks for your comments!

About your food estimate, is it an error or do you think we can really make it with 25$ day per person? (750$ / 30 days = 25 $/day)
    Just to satisfy my curiosity, how much does a standard Big Mac meal cost at the States? (I’m not planning to reproduce again the “Super Size Me” documentary but I need to know that at least we have an emergency food plan, :P)

I’ve been talking with Marcopolo’s and we’ll maybe cut off part of the trip. Which cities or places from our trip are not worth to be visited? We’re thinking to avoid 1 or 2 places from the list (please, see the route at the first message of this thread)

Thanks,

Borja

Default Food....it all depends on where you eat!

Quote Originally Posted by jawks View Post
    Hey Judy, thanks for your comments!

About your food estimate, is it an error or do you think we can really make it with 25$ day per person? (750$ / 30 days = 25 $/day)
    Just to satisfy my curiosity, how much does a standard Big Mac meal cost at the States? (I’m not planning to reproduce again the “Super Size Me” documentary but I need to know that at least we have an emergency food plan, :P)
    I don't eat at McDonald's all that much but it seems the meals (burger/sandwich, friends, drink) are about $5.50 or so.

Yes, I think you can do it on $25/day per person if you eat most of your meals out of a cooler and pick lower-priced restaurants when you do it in one. However, if you can tweak more money for food, all the better. I tend to eat out of my cooler for 1-3 days at a time and then, when I go to a restaurant, splurge a bit more.

If you don't eat out of your cooler some of your meals, $25/day is going to be a lot tougher to do unless you eat virtually all your meals at McD's and similar places. Not healthy. Gets old fast. Yuck, imho.

But, if you insist on eating in restaurants, you could still do $25/day each if you're very careful. Fastfood breakfasts and lunches are typically going to be around $5 each for $10. And you can get a decent, although hardly yummy, meal including salad and veggies at places like Denny's for about $9-12. Add in your tip and you're at about $25 for the day. However, this doesn't give you any extra for treats, etc.

And it's very important to keep hydrated. I would stop at full-size grocery stores and buy water by the case. It's cheaper that way and you'll have plenty with you so you don't skimp on this.

So, do add more money to that budget if you can. If you can't, read the post I gave you a link to a few posts back about how to eat out of a cooler and only eat out no more than one meal per day.

Hope this all makes sense.

I’ve been talking with Marcopolo’s and we’ll maybe cut off part of the trip. Which cities or places from our trip are not worth to be visited? We’re thinking to avoid 1 or 2 places from the list (please, see the route at the first message of this thread)
    Tough call. I would hate to make it for you. I don't see anyplace that not worth visiting. And many of those locations are going to be on your direct route anyway.

The ones that take you the most out of your way...of your main route, that is...are the Louisville/Memphis, Roswell/El Paso, or Tijuana stops. But all of those places are very cool and worth seeing. So, what to cut if you have to cut? I think that will depend on you.