1. Default Memorial day trip

Hey guys,

I am in the DC area and am planning a road trip. This is what I am currently planning to do. I have 9 days.

First drive down to the cumberland gap national historic park. Camp there for a couple of days.

Drive down to the smokies. Spend 4-5 days there camping. Will probably camp in different campgrounds.

Go south of smokies to spend a fun day hunting for rubies in the ruby fields of NC.

Then go to either the frozen head state park in TN or the big fork river national rec area. Spend a couple of days and then drive back.

2 days will be required for the round trip driving. So will have 7 days to take pictures in all these locations. All the time periods specified are flexible. So might overlap. For example, if the days is bright and sunny when I am in the smokies, will probably drive down to the ruby fields and spend the day there. I shall basically play it by the ear depending on the locale and the weather.

How does this look? Anything I should keep in mind? Any other suggestions?

Note that I am only interested in nature/scenics.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Seems ok

The route seems ok, though if it were up to me I would add some time to get off the Interstates and enjoy some of the two lanes in the area, and possibly some of the more obscure county roads that you are likely to find. Many of these off the beaten path routes offer interesting scenery that you are unlikely to see from anywhere else.

Sometimes I like to look at a contour map and see what routes are going over what could be interesting terrain and then take a chance on the route. Sometimes this has turned out to be challenging, ie, the road has been barricaded or otherwise is no longer a road. Other times it has brought truly great memories.