Default Heading Far South-any help?

I'm heading to Hattiesburg, Mississippi in mid-may. It's only a 13 hour trip from here in Raleigh, NC-but I am making the trip with my daughter (a fun, spunky 5 year old). This being my first trip down south, I wanted to try to find some random attractions, or easy-to-hit sights.

Can anyone advise me on some good ol' all-american sights that I simply must see? Or any crazy "gator" farms that she'd enjoy?

It's not a very long trip, but I have an unlimited amount of time, and money isn't much of an issue, but I'm not expecting on blowing very much for the kinds of attractions I want to see. I'm not after the big museums and such this time, but rather the classic old random sights you pass by.

Most of my trip will be in I-85-but here's a brief idea of where we'll be--

I-85 S (Passing through SOUTH CAROLINA, then crossing into GEORGIA).
    247.4 mi

Merge onto I-20 W via EXIT 247 (Crossing into ALABAMA).
    134.6 mi

Merge onto I-459 S via EXIT 136 toward MONTGOMERY/ TUSCALOOSA.
    29.6 mi

Merge onto I-59 S via the exit on the LEFT toward TUSCALOOSA (Crossing into MISSISSIPPI).
    185.5 mi

I just really want to SEE things this trip, and my daughter would enjoy it as well. The trip is as important as our visit with family is.

I thank you in advance for your help :-) And hope SOMEONE knows a little about this area!

Last edited by MissErin112; 04-21-2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added money and time info

Tucson, AZ

Default If You Don't Mind Some Different Roads

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I took a trip a few years ago that, in part, covered much of the same ground that you and your daughter will be traversing. You'd have to take a different set of roads than you're currently planning on but if you did so, then some things of interest would include the Uncle Remus Museum and the Rock Eagle Mound in Eatonton, GA; FDR's Little White House in Warm Springs; and Old Cahawba outside Selma, AL. Those should help get you started.

Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-21-2008 at 07:41 PM.

Default A couple more

Hi Neighbor-

Your route takes you directly by Six Flags Over Georgia, on the west side of Atlanta. You'd also pass fairly close to Callaway Gardens, down near Lagrange and Columbus, GA.

In SC, you can consider taking a loop drive off of I-85 on SC 11, which I believe is called the Cherokee Scenic Drive. There are some old-style attractions along that route, or at least there were the last time I returned to Raleigh from a rafting trip on the Chattooga, near Walhalla, SC.

Enjoy the planning, it's a big part of a Road Trip!