1. Default Boston to Houston in 5 days

This is my first post, and it is nearly my first road trip. I'm very excited to be traveling to my new home in Houston from Boston in early July. My husband got a new job and the relocation company is allowing me to drive and will pay for mileage, meals, and hotel costs for 5 days, so I thought this would be a great way to see the country. I will be traveling with my 18 year old daughter and our 4 year old yellow labrador. This creates some challenges for me - we need to find pet friendly hotels and we can't let the dog sit in a hot car during the day if we want to do some sightseeing that doesn't allow animals. I would ideally like to drive through the Virginia/DC area, then over through Tennessee to experience Memphis or Nashville, then down to New Orleans and over to Houston. Any suggestions from experienced "road trippers" would be great!

Tucson, AZ

Default Back to Back (to Back to Back...) Scenic Roads

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The company has given you ample time and resources to make a trip that could be driven in as little as three hard days of driving on the Interstates, and besides, there's nothing holding you back from taking even a couple of more days to make the trip, they just won't pay for your food and lodging. So with that kind of time, look into the following scenic roads that follow pretty much the route you've laid out: The Mohawk Trail across Massachusetts, US-209 to skirt the Catskills and head through the Delaware Water Gap, I-81 past Hershey and Gettysburg and into northern Virginia, Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway down the Appalachians to the Great Smoky Mountains, I-40 across Tennessee to Nashville, the Natchez Trace to the Mississippi River and finish with the Creole Nature Trail. I think that such roads will be far more enjoyable for you and the dog than just sticking to the truck heavy Interstates all the way down.

Oh! ...and here's a great list of resources for traveling with pets.

3. Default Great Info!

Wow! So much great info. This will be great! It will be so much nicer to do the scenic route. I've done the MA to FL in 24 hours route before - it was such a drag. I'm looking forward to meandering my way to Houston!