Default Coast-To-Coast (East to West coast) - Advice please!

Hi,

I've got a United States Coast-To-Coast trip beginning this august, I'm going to be a general counselor at a youth camp upstate new york until mid-august and afterwards planning on continuing onward till i reach the west coast, whilst stopping in MN (where i grew up for a few years) and do loads of crazy and fun things all around the states...
    first of all if anyone is thinking of the same, drop me a line, maybe we'd hook up and continue together, but besides i have a few questions :

1.Any special card i could get or register for, for all sorts of discounts all around the country, national parks, theme parks, and all the rest? real important! if anyone knows anything... basically i'm going to have a student card that i'm getting in my country, but besides that...

2.What's the best way for travelling across the states, buses or rental cars, or buying a car with a few people?

3.What's the most recognized credit card for the states? I've got an International Visa card currently, and i've gotten many many recommendations for getting an American Express card, for my trip. what do you suggest?

4. Does anyone have any advice for Route 66 ? i'm not sure if i should go for it...

5.Camping and traveling equipment, Worth buying at the states, and not for loads of money in Israel, right?

6.Any special suggestions for the trip? appreciate it loads!

thanks allot for the help, appreciate it allot.

Alon

Default Shalom

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

1) If you plan to visit several National Parks, get a National Parks Pass. Similarly if you end up deciding to travel mostly by bus or train, both Greyhound and Amtrak offer special passes. Also, visitor centers are often a treasure trove of discount coupons for attractions and lodging.

2) By far the easiest way to travel in the US is by private automobile. Travel by train and/or bus is possible, but not nearly as convenient or all reaching. Buying a car as a foreign national is difficult to say the least. There are outfits that will let you buy a car AND buy it back, and they might be worth looking into. Renting a car for a couple of months and returning it a continent away will be expensive, especially if you are under 25, but is often the best option even so.

3) Any nationally recognized credit card will usually suffice. Visa and MasterCard are the most universally accepted, but Discover and American Express are good backups.

4) Route 66 has long been officially decommissioned. It does not exist as an official US highway anymore, having been replaced by the expressways, I-57, I-44 and I-40. However, much of the old pavement is still out there and if that's what you want to see, it is possible.

5) I would definitely buy your camping equipment here. With airlines now charging up to $25 for each 'extra' bag, you would probably save money in the long run, and avoid the hassle of having them lose it anyway.

6) Have fun!

AZBuck

Default NY - West coast : travel buddies NOW!

Hey,

I'm currently in NYC, and have been for the past 2 weeks.

I'm in great desire, and was pretty much the purpose of my trip, to come to the states for the greatest adventure i've been to up till now, a 3 - 6 month long road trip across the states.
    thinking about starting on the east side, obviously i'm here right now, and heading to the west, stopping in numerous areas, maybe even hitting the road to the east again, or reselling on the west coast at the end at california, or washington... totally open to whatever!
    buying a car, that could hold for that period, and i guess reselling it at the end of the trip.
    I want to go , check out the amazing national parks, the country side... the real america!

of course, pass through many cities and towns on the way, but mainly see the ACTUAL AMERICA!

very open minded, very flexible... I want to buy a car, if you guys can help with something, that would be amazing, much better than searching on craigslist maybe?

and if anyone has information about insurance, any tips... anything would be accepted and welcomed very warmly, any ideas or even little stories that could help out.

I'm going to be in toronto from wednsday to saturday, and afterwards 2 days in new york, and from there a week in miami, just a few drops visiting family and friends...
    afterwards i'm in new york, hoping to find someone to buy a car with... so hit me up.

Lovin' life...

Livin' the dream smile

anyone's welcome to send a message guys, hoping you wanna come and join the fun smile

Alon
    x
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 09-02-2008 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Merged - Please Stop Creating New Threads for This Trip.

Quote Originally Posted by ouijakid View Post
    thinking about starting on the east side, obviously i'm here right now, and heading to the west, stopping in numerous areas, maybe even hitting the road to the east again, or reselling on the west coast at the end at california, or washington... totally open to whatever!
    buying a car, that could hold for that period, and i guess reselling it at the end of the trip.
    AZBuck gave you a link about the steps you would need to go through to buy a car in the US as a foreigner. You need to read it and figure out how you'll work through the issues. They're not insurmountable but they will be a challenge. Also check out the buy-back service AZ Buck suggested. That's probably your best bet.

I want to go , check out the amazing national parks, the country side... the real america!

of course, pass through many cities and towns on the way, but mainly see the ACTUAL AMERICA!
    NYC is real America, too. With 3-6 months, you'll have plenty of time to meander and explore. When you're stopping in an area, try to avoid chain restaurants and fast-food establishments. Try to find a local diner/restaurant that is popular with local people. You will want to get a bit off the highway and see what's packed with cars. Or ask for suggestions at the gas station or hotel. If the diner has a counter, you might want to sit there as it's easier to strike up conversations with people also at the counter. Ask them for local things to see/do. Visit the visitor information centers and get tips on local activities/events/festivals/parks to visit. All this will help you find things that aren't necessarily going to be listed in the guidebooks.