Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is it too many miles for 2 weeks?

After an amazing road trip last year which included LA, San Fran, Vegas etc. I am now planning my 2008 roadtrip. I am going with my Dad and we are interested in the following trip:

Appalachian Trail from Maine to Georgia
    Georgia to Memphis
    Memphis to Vegas via Route 66

I have calculated that the trip will be around 2500-3000 miles. Do you think the above is possible or are we stretching ourselves too much?

Cheers,

Matt

Default You'll be fine

I don't think you have too much to worry about.

On my 2006 roadtrip across the western half of the U.S., me and my family covered almost 5,000 miles in the same span of 2 weeks. Of course, I guess you have to take into consideration the fact I've been established as a "speed-run" roadtripper. I tend to drive, look, and go.

Having said that, you shouldn't have too much trouble spanning up to 3,000 miles in 2 weeks, which averages about 214 miles a day (or 3-5 hours traveling time, depending on road conditions). I would always recommend having a "cushion" of 24 hours per week for your trip in case something goes wrong and you're stranded for a night or two. Hopefully you'll never have to use it. And if you don't, you can slow your pace near the end instead of scrambling to reach your final destination.

You probably won't be able to stay in one place more than 36 hours with the route you've described, but if you pace yourself appropriately, you should be good.

I envy you, I haven't yet conquered Route 66.

Default probably fine

I'd agree that the actual distance shouldn't be too much of a problem, the only thing I'll say is that if you are sticking purely to the App. Trail and the remnants of Route 66, you'll be dealing with pretty slow routes and you won't be able to travel nearly as far as you would on an interstate. I'd just say that means you'll be doing a little more sightseeing from the road than at specific stops, I don't think it means you'll be rushed.

The only one other point to note is that Memphis isn't on Route 66, you'd either have to continue north to pick it up at St. Louis, or go farther west and pick it up in Oklahoma City.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinless View Post
    I don't think you have too much to worry about.

On my 2006 roadtrip across the western half of the U.S., me and my family covered almost 5,000 miles in the same span of 2 weeks. Of course, I guess you have to take into consideration the fact I've been established as a "speed-run" roadtripper. I tend to drive, look, and go.

Having said that, you shouldn't have too much trouble spanning up to 3,000 miles in 2 weeks, which averages about 214 miles a day (or 3-5 hours traveling time, depending on road conditions). I would always recommend having a "cushion" of 24 hours per week for your trip in case something goes wrong and you're stranded for a night or two. Hopefully you'll never have to use it. And if you don't, you can slow your pace near the end instead of scrambling to reach your final destination.

You probably won't be able to stay in one place more than 36 hours with the route you've described, but if you pace yourself appropriately, you should be good.

I envy you, I haven't yet conquered Route 66.
    Thank you for your quick reply, I am so relieved to hear our planned route is possible. We want to see as much as possible so thanks for your encouragement, very much appreciated. We are unsure when we are going, we have the choice of any 2 weeks between June and October. Is there any particular month that would be best to travel?

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I'd agree that the actual distance shouldn't be too much of a problem, the only thing I'll say is that if you are sticking purely to the App. Trail and the remnants of Route 66, you'll be dealing with pretty slow routes and you won't be able to travel nearly as far as you would on an interstate. I'd just say that means you'll be doing a little more sightseeing from the road than at specific stops, I don't think it means you'll be rushed.

The only one other point to note is that Memphis isn't on Route 66, you'd either have to continue north to pick it up at St. Louis, or go farther west and pick it up in Oklahoma City.
    Thanks alot. You helped us a great deal last year when planning our western roadtrip. I have to say the Big Sur was fantastic!!!! It's great to hear that our route is achievable, we would probably pick up Route 66 at St Louis as that is another place we both want to see. I have read alot about Route 66 and it seems that it could be difficult to find in places, is that the case?

Default 66 resources

US-66 hasn't officially been a US highway for more than 20 years now, so many sections no longer exist or are in pretty poor shape. Of course there are also some areas that have been resigned as "Historic US-66"

Your best bet is probably to buy a guidebook if you want to religiously follow the road. Also check out this field report!

Default Appalachian Trial???

First of all the Appalachin Trail is strictly a hiking trail that runs from Springer Mountain Georgia to Katadin, Maine and take 5 to 6 months to hike. There is no road that follows this and in many places there are no roads even close to the trail. I am not sure what you have in mind for this segment.

It is a "fur piece" from Springer Mountain Georgia to Memphis. In fact it is considerable distance from any point on the trail to Memphis. From Memphis to LA following 66 as much as possible will take at least 5 days. Add this to the time getting to Memphis and see if it fits your time frame.

Scotishbob

I was under the impression from www.roadtripusa.com that you could drive fairly close to the pedestrian route on the Appalachian Trail, our plan is to drive as near as possible to that route and to see as much as we can on the way. Our main concern really at this stage is whether we are trying to fit in too much in 2 weeks.

Default Not really....

Quote Originally Posted by mrhind View Post
    I was under the impression from roadtripusa.com that you could drive fairly close to the pedestrian route
    The way that Jamie describes this is "...the following scenic roads come very close to paralleling the pedestrian route,..." but that is a little bit of poetic license. You could make the same claim that US-395 parallels the John Muir Trail, and it does, give or take 100 miles or so. With respect to your plan, you can certainly drive in the Appalachian Mountains, but those paved roads are fundamentally different than hiking along the Appalachian Trail.
    Our main concern really at this stage is whether we are trying to fit in too much in 2 weeks.
    You are a veteran USA roadtripper now -- it seems a bit much to me -- but I think you have a good judge of how much you can push from your other forays..

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    The way that Jamie describes this is "...the following scenic roads come very close to paralleling the pedestrian route,..." but that is a little bit of poetic license. You could make the same claim that US-395 parallels the John Muir Trail, and it does, give or take 100 miles or so. With respect to your plan, you can certainly drive in the Appalachian Mountains, but those paved roads are fundamentally different than hiking along the Appalachian Trail. You are a veteran USA roadtripper now -- it seems a bit much to me -- but I think you have a good judge of how much you can push from your other forays..

Mark
    Thanks Mark. The drive from Maine to Georgia will certainly be a great experience and I am sure we will drive through many scenic routes, I can't wait. The trip last year has made me hungry to see every state in America and after this years trip I will almost be half way there. What a country!!!