Default Las Vegas to Yosemite (Groveland)

Hi, great site, very useful.

Here's the challenge. LV to Yosemite in a single day taking in a couple of interesting locations. I know, not enough time... but is there an interesting alternative to the I-15, CA-58 freeway breeze? 12 hour driving is ok. Thankfully life slows down a little when we arrive in Yosemite. thanks for any help.

Default timeframe

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

What time of year are you planning to make this trip? If you are going in summer, Tioga Pass will still be an option. Its a long day, but its doable.

If you are going before the pass opens, then you really don't have many other options.

Hi Mike,

Next week! Friday 25th April. Shame, the scenic routes sound spectacular and I really wanted to see some of Death Valley. Another time, maybe.

We're spending 3 days in Yosemite. Any suggestions for covering the "must sees"?

4. Default

Three weeks ago I drove from Vegas through Death Valley, down the 395, turned right to Lake Isabella, through Porterville into Sequoia National Park in a single day. It was around 420 miles minimum and by the time we'd meandered around Death Valley's sites we did more than 500 miles in the day. Many of those the miles (coming out of Death Valley, from Wofford Heights to Delano and up into Sequioa) were on winding roads with many switchbacks. It took us about 12 hours with stops.

Hi, did you only get as far as sequoia? Need to make Yosemite within those 12 hours. Sounds like its not possible if you took 12 hours to only reach Sequoia.

if you did reach Yosemite (groveland on the west side is what I'm aiming for) could you provide more detail on your route?

Many thanks

Default Read the posts above

Quote Originally Posted by jaysond View Post
    Hi, did you only get as far as sequoia? Need to make Yosemite within those 12 [hours.
    I think you must have forgotten the posts above.... You can not reach Yosemite from the eastern slope on the 25th of April. The pass over the Sierra Nevada mountains (Tioga Pass) is still closed due to snow.

You can reach Yosemite from Las Vegas in a full day of driving (10+ hours) but you have to use the southern route. You can include Death Valley but you still need to go through either Lake Isabella or Tehachapi (faster) and then CA-99 or I-5 north to the approach to Yosemite.

Here are the primary routes for this trip.....

Mark

Hi Mark,

Worked out the zoom function on google maps - now realise how limited the routes are... Regarding Death Valley, whats the best (interesting and driveable) route in from LV? Via Beatty on the 95 or Pahrump and up the 127 and onto the 190.

Looking at the distances involved our route is likely to be back down the 395, then 14 to join the 58 and onto Tehachapl. Doable in 12 hours with stops?

Am i being crazy?!! Our is DV worth the extra 2-3 hours looped drive?

Default Local's Route = 2 hours to DV

Quote Originally Posted by jaysond View Post
    Regarding Death Valley, whats the best (interesting and driveable) route in from LV? Via Beatty on the 95 or Pahrump and up the 127 and onto the 190.
    These are both fine, (Beatty is seriously out of the way!) -- but I would suggest that you follow the local's route. LV > NV160 to Pahrump > Bell Vista Avenue >CA 190 > Furnance Creek. Two hours tops from the strip to Death Valley.
    Looking at the distances involved our route is likely to be back down the 395, then 14 to join the 58 and onto Tehachapi. Doable in 12 hours with stops?
    No problem.

Mark

thanks for your help!