1. Default East Side Summer 08

Hi Guys just after some advice really myself and a friend are travelling to the USA on 31st May and staying for 21 days.

At the moment all i know is that we fly into JFK on the 31st and fly out of JFK on the 21st June we are wanting to do a big circle and the finish back off in NYC we are wanting to visit some famous places along (i.e Graceland - memphis and Motown - Detroit). I was thinking of flying into NYC staying one night in a hostel then heading off to possibly boston for about 4 days then making our way to chicago again staying there a few days then making our way down to memphis and working back up to washington philly and then back to NYC. (roughly)

does this sound like a decent trip and is it easily possible,

we are taking about $5000 spend that is for accomodation (hostels probably) and we are buying a 30 day amtrak card before we go so we'll travel by train.

would really appreciate and advise tips etc

many thanks

Default It should be a good trip!

Amtrak travels to all those places so you should be able to create an itinerary that will work in the time-frame you have. You might want to spend some time with their Interactive Route Atlas to get an idea where the trains travel. You will need to visit other parts of the Amtrak website for schedules unfortunately.

If the $5000 does not include the price of the Amtrak passes you're buying, it's do-able but it might be a bit tight. Especially since you're planning on spending most of your times in cities that tend to be fairly expensive.

You will likely have transportation costs within those cities and entry fees to some of the sights. Add in food and accomodations and it might get tight. I say "might" because it all depends on how you eat, etc. If you're budget conscious you should be fine. Just have a plan for spending so you don't over-spend at the beginning of your trip.

Here is just one of many sites that should be able to help you find hostels. Please note that there aren't as many hostels in the US as there are in Europe so you'll definitely want to search these out before you travel here. But don't discount motels. Sometimes it is possible to find a hotel for roughly the same price that you'd pay for two of you to stay in a hostel. I was not able to find a hostel in Memphis but I didn't do an exhaustive search.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-05-2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Add link to RTA Sponsor

Default Saving some money

Since Boston is a college town, you are likely to find some places that aren't too expensive to get your chow.

Here is a page from the Boston Globe that lists some of their favorite places to get a decent meal on the cheap. Last I checked, they list over 100 places in the Boston area.

4. Default 3 week trip June 08

Hi everyone, i'm just after a few pointers for trip to the US. me and a friend will be travelling from England to the US in the beginning of june for 3 weeksand this is the ittinery i've devised please let me know what you think:

we fly int JFK and plan on spending 2 nights in NY then we are thinking of going to Boston for 3/4 days then making our way to buffalo to see niagra falls and stay the for a night, then onto chicago for 3/4 days then going to washington for another 3/4 days and then up to Philly for 3/4 days then back to NYC for another 3/4 days then fly back to england from JFK.

Does this sound like a decent trip, we are buying a 30 day Amtrak pass to travel on, we are after seeing some famous sights and are also after some good nightlife. a friend of mine said that chicago isnt worth staying for 3/4 days and recomended i go to memphis (for graceland), is this possible to do and will i be able to get to washington from memphis with anmtrak?

we are bringing approx $5000 for spend and accomodation (staying in hostels), should this be enough?
    we are booking the first 2 nights in advance but then getting accomodation while there (is this a good idea? just don't want to work to a strict schedule).

all help is much appreciated, many thanks in advance

Default Via Chicago

Chicago is a great city, and I think you'd have a hard time running out of things to do in the Windy City in just 3/4 days.

However, if you want to go to Memphis, its certainly possible. However, as shown in the route map linked above by Judy, you won't be able to go directly from Memphis to DC, you'll have to back track via Chicago or go down to New Orleans and connect to Washington.

6. Default Memphis

Here is just one of many sites that should be able to help you find hostels. Please note that there aren't as many hostels in the US as there are in Europe so you'll definitely want to search these out before you travel here. But don't discount motels. Sometimes it is possible to find a hotel for roughly the same price that you'd pay for two of you to stay in a hostel. I was not able to find a hostel in Memphis but I didn't do an exhaustive search.[/QUOTE]

I found a hostel in Memphis. It's called Pilgrim House Hostel. It's inside a church. I'll tell you after July how it is :)

-Kirby

7. Default weather

what will the weather be like in early june? will i need some warm clothes or will it be quite warm? Also will it be easy to ring up hostel a few days before and book as i dont really want to book now and have to work to strickt ittinerarry i.e if we like/dislike a particullar place we can stay an extra night or leave early.

thanks
    Last edited by LinoDavis; 04-20-2008 at 11:55 AM.

8. Default Hostels

I usually get private rooms and so you have to book those months in advance.

This summer I'm traveling with my 8 year old son-- so dorm style won't work for us.

I called a few hostels in CA that I visited back in 1989 and they were booked! Retreats for the whole week. I couldn't believe it. I called like 4-5 months in advance. Nothing....

Default Bring layers

Quote Originally Posted by LinoDavis View Post
    what will the weather be like in early june? will i need some warm clothes or will it be quite warm?

The weather will vary a lot depending on where you are and, especially at night, it can get chilly in some areas. When I travel through a lot of different areas like you're planning to do, I always bring clothes that I can layer instead of different clothes for warm weather and cool weather. My top layer on a cold night might be a simply waterproof windbreaker type jacket that is a bit oversized so that I can wear several layers under it for warmth. That's what I suggest.

10. Default Not long now!!

Ok guys i have just less than 2 weeks to go and am getting excited now lol. i was looking for suggestions of some really cool places i could visit in or around the areas i am visiting(new york, boston, chicago, philly and washington) and i am also thinking of visiting some theme parks if there are any near where we are? and finally we are two 20 something men looking for great nights out partying and clubbing where would you suggest?

many thanks in advance