Default planning 1st family road trip from minneapolis to South Dakota

Hi, We are planning our first road trip from MN to SD with our 4 and 6 year old. I know we want to see Mount Rushmore but I'm not sure what else to put on the itenerary. I would appreciate any suggestions for attractions, sites or campgrounds on the way that might be fun and appropriate for the ages of my children. Thanks!

Default Tons of possibilities

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The Black Hills area is packed with things to do. Custer State Park is something you should check out. There are also Jewel and Wind Cave National Parks. Deadwood is a nice restored old west town, and Devils Tower is just into Wyoming.

Of course between here and there, you'll also have the Corn Palace, Badlands, and Wall Drug to name a few places. Also on the way for the Kids, the Washington Pavillion in Sioux Falls is a museum that could provide a fun break from the road for a few hours.

Default One of my favorite road trips

This is a great road trip. This was without a doubt number 2 or 3 in popularity in my numerous road trips. Here's what we did:
    Sioux Falls- fireworks at night on the falls- kids will love it.
    Mitchell Corn Palace- stop for a picture if nothing else.- Corn murals decorate the entire outside and they change yearly.
    Badlands National Park- drive through but expect extremely hot temps if you are going June or July.- This was literally like a tour through hades because I cannot describe how hot it is. Several hiking paths but take water.
    Wall Drug- for milkshakes
    Fort Hays- Dances with Wolves memorabilia- kind of cheeky but they have a good breakfast here for a low price.
    Bear Country USA- one of my favorite stops- drive through animal park- sounds cheeky but highly recommended especially for kids and adults.
    Both Fort Hays and Bear Country are just outside Rapid City, SD.
    Mt. Rushmore- makes one feel proud to be an American
    Crazy Horse Monument- excellent museum with lots of native American artifacts and art. Laser show on monument at night.
    Black Hills- drive the Needle highway- spectacular drive through the spires and mountains. Also the Iron Mountain Road if you have time.
    Custer State Park- stayed nearby and went back daily if time allowed to search for wildlife. Be sure to take apples to feed the wild donkeys.
    Don't waste the time driving to Bridal Falls- not worth the time. Only a trickle in July.
    Deadwood- gambling and western theme, gunfights on the street in front of Bullock hotel.
    Tatanka- Kevin Costner's story of the Bison- thought it was overpriced for what you got. It was OK, but I wouldn't do it again.
    If you have time drive to Devil's Tower in Wyoming- nothing else looks like it.

Have fun. There is so much to do here it is hard to squeeze it all in.

Default thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm excited to start planning!