1. Default Rhode Island to Reno!! I-80, I-90, places to go, things to

This August I am making the BIG cross-country move! Very very exciting. I am traveling i-80 most of the way, with a short excursion through i-90 from Chicago to get to Mt. Rushmoore. It will be a seven-day trip, arriving in Reno on the seventh day. Any tips as to where else I should stop for must-sees or must-dos? Important: I am traveling with my 69year old grandmother, so unfortunately anything too physically demanding is not possible. Also, tips for very very affordable hotels that are not in sketchy locations would be fantastic...I've watched too many horror movies, lol.

Thanks in advance!!

Traveldude Guest

hmmm, as far as cheap lodging goes I'd say try to stay in smaller towns in motels. I say this cause small towns are safe and motels are usually cheap. For things to see- you guys could do niagra falls (taking 90 throughway to chi), not far to walk for your grandmother to see it. Also you could drive to yellowstone and drive around the park. Then head south to salt lake city and on to reno. Stopping in chicago or driving around downtown would be a cool experience for you but traffic can be crazy.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default What a fun way to spend time with Grandma!

The Mt. Rushmore area is full of gems. Near there are Wall Drug, the ultimate tourist stop. Also Crazy Horse Memorial, Wind Cave, Deadwood, Black Hills, and more. You could spend a few days here. If either of you are Laura Ingalls Wilder fans, visit one of the family homesteads near DeSmet.

Most any economical chain motel should be fine. You might look for Motel 6, Super 8, Days Inn, Econolodge along the way. They will tend to be a tad cheaper away from major metro areas. You can visit their websites to find locations along your route or simply pick up their free guidebooks to their locations at the first such hotel you see on your trip (or pick one up before you leave home if any are in or near your town).

In NE Wyoming, you might enjoy Devil's Tower. And the Mormon Tabernacle and other historic sites in and near Salt Lake City.