1. Default 1st time PHL-SF help!

Hey everyone, first off ide like to say that ive been dreaming of driving from my place (Philadelphia) to san francisco or somewhere on the west coast for a long time. and this morning when i stumbled upon this forum i couldnt be happier because until now i didnt think i had the resources to figure out how to make it all possible. im a 19yo male, graduated high school in 2006 and havent had much of a means to go to college so im just kinda floating around. working labor jobs and playing in a band most nights but i wanna do something big. i wanna drive to the west coast. first head south and visit my buddy in port st. lucie, Florida. then maybe hit New orleans and head west from there. is this too long of a trip for my first time? what should i plan for, and make sure i have for a trip like this.. how much does something like this cost?? its the only thing on my mind right now but at times it all seams too overwhelming to actually do it.. any help would be so greatly appreciated.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default forcing realities

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The first question I think you always need to ask yourself about something like this is "Do you really want it?" Its very easy to dream about the romance of living on the road, but you have to really be ready to get to work if you want to make that dream actually happen.

Traveling is not cheap, and unlike college, there are no grants, loans, or other "free money" to allow you to do your own thing on the road.

In my opinion, using the lack of money as an excuse for not going to college is just that, and excuse. I'm not saying you have to go to college or casting any judgement on your decision, but if you wanted more education bad enough you could find a way. The same will be true for a roadtrip, there will be lots of excuses for why you can't do it, but if you really want to, you will find a way.

There are a number of threads about building a budget and how much things will cost, like this one, and this one, but in general it costs more to be on the road than to live at home. That means, you'll need to start saving a pretty big chunk of what you do make so you've got the funds to actually get on the road.