1. Default Las Vegas - Grand Canyon - Death valley - Yosemite - SFR

Hi,

we are from Austria and going to Vegas to join several security conferences. We will arive on August 1st at about 8pm in Vegas and are planning to make a small roadtrip until the 5th. Any suggestions regarding route and hotels/rooms would be highly appreciated.

Our current ideas are:

1st August
    -Arrive on the 1st
    -Get us a car (already found a cheap solution)
    -Get some sleep in a hotel/motel nearby

2nd August
    -Get up early at about 2-4 a.m. to drive to Grand Canyon and see the sunrise
    -Visit Grand Canyon
    -Drive towards Death Valley and get a hotel there or, drive the whole way to Lee Vining and sleep there

3rd August
    -Visit Mono Lake and Yosemite
    -Get a Hotel there

4th August
    -Go to San Francisco
    -Return Car in the evening
    -sleep there near the airport

5th August
    -Catch our flight to Vegas at about 6 a.m.

Do you think this is possible or should we change something? Any recommendations for points to visit on the way, eat, sleep, route?

Thanks for you help and kind Regards!
    Andi

Default Not really possible in that time frame

Quote Originally Posted by tangoman View Post
    We will arrive on August 1st at about 8pm in Vegas and are planning to make a small roadtrip until the 5th.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- your plans currently exceed reality -- see below:
    1st August
    -Arrive on the 1st
    -Get us a car (already found a cheap solution)
    -Get some sleep in a hotel/motel nearby
    Due to jet-lag et al, I would suggest you plan a day to rest in Las Vegas before heading out.
    2nd August
    -Get up early at about 2-4 a.m. to drive to Grand Canyon and see the sunrise
    -Visit Grand Canyon
    -Drive towards Death Valley and get a hotel there or, drive the whole way to Lee Vining and sleep there
    This day would be impossible for even the most drive-hardened road trip veteran. It is five hours from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon, so in order to make it for sunrise, you will need to leave by Midnight the night before. It is 6-7 hours from South Rim to Death Valley and another 5-6 from Death Valley to Lee Vining If you really drove this day, you would need to be on the road from Midnight to 6:00 to 8:00 pm the next day.

Personally, I think you need to cut out both Yosemite and San Francisco, and make Mono Lake your turn-around spot for a drive back to Las Vegas. Or alternatively, cut out Grand Canyon and do Death Valley, Mono Lake, Yosemite and San Francisco.

Mark

3. Default Really not?

Thx for your fast reply!
    Personally I also thought that lee vining is not possible. But if me manage to leave vegas that early and be at grand canyon in the morning can we then travel on to death valley and sleep the night there? Further on we can travel to Lee Vining on the next day and spend the night in yosemite. On the last day visit yosemite and just drive to SFR to fly back? What do you think?

Best Regards and thx!
    Andi

Default Beyond too much

As has already been explained by Mark, you are still looking at something that is beyond a suicide mission. Even if you could do all that you want, you would have a miserable time even trying.

Just take a look at what you are planning on days 1 and 2.

You're going to arrive at 8pm after spending 15+ hours on a plane, so you'll be landing at a time there is no way your body will be able to immediately adjust.

Then 4 hours after you land -not including time to get your luggage and rent your car- you want to start driving 5-6 hours. At this point your travel time will already be somewhere around 24 hour in a car/plane/airport as no more than 2-3 hours asleep in a bed.

Then, again having no more than 2-3 hours of real sleep, you want to explore the grand canyon, so lets say you spend 6 hours there just doing a real brief look at some of the overlooks near the visitor center/village area. After you've done that you then would travel another 7 hours or so onto Death Valley, getting there just before dark?

That would now mean you'd be up to 37 hours of traveling and 3 hours of sleep, tops.

Step back for your list of dreams for just a second and think about how that sounds. 37 hours of traveling, 3 hours of sleep. How on earth would you do that safely much less enjoyably?

You aren't even being close to realistic right now. As was already said, there simply is no way you can do everything you've listed on your timeframe. Something absolutely has to give.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 04-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.

5. Default What should I skip?

Thx for your responses. What would be a good route in your opinion or what do you suggest to skip. As I metioned already we rather want to see nature then cities.

Thx 4 all!
    Andi

Default As previously said

I agree with the previous suggestion, you either need to eliminate the Grand Canyon or Yosemite and San Francisco.

7. Default Points to Visit - Hotels on route

Thx for your support!

If we skip Grand Canyon and only take your proposed tour what are the places to visit and where should we stay? How would you compose this trip?

Thx and best Regards!
    Andreas

Default Retaining the flight

Quote Originally Posted by tangoman View Post
    How would you compose this trip?
    You could make this a round trip driving trip -- but if you retain the flight from SFO to LAS I would suggest the following:

August 1: Sleep in a motel in Las Vegas
    August 2: Drive through Death Valley (3-4 hours here) and then north on US-395 staying at either Bishop or Mammoth Lakes
    August 3: Explore Mono Lake, Tioga Pass and Yosemite Valley. Stay either in Curry Village in the national park or Mariposa or even Yosemite Bug.
    August 4: Spend 1/2 day again in the Park and the drive to San Francisco.
    August 5: Fly back to Las Vegas, if you get here early enough -- rent a car and go see the Hoover Dam and the new Colorado River Gorge bridge being built.

Mark

Default I like Mark's suggestion

But I can't help but make an alternative one to the places that I'd rather see if I were making this trip.

Day 1: Vegas/sleep
    Day 2: Drive to Grand Canyon; explore a bit and watch the sunrise
    Day 3: Wake early for sunrise and drive to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, explore, and drive to Ruby's Inn near Bryce Canyon NP for the night
    Day 4: Get up early for sunrise at Bryce.
    Day 5: Drive through Zion NP on the way to Las Vegas.

It all depends on what stuff you'd rather see.