Default Chicago to eastern Pennsylvania

I'm in charge of planning a road trip for our car club this August, it will be a group of about 10 middle-aged couples going from NW Chicago suburbs to Carlisle, PA (near Harrisburg). We'll leave on a Tuesday morning and need to arrive Carlisle Thursday evening; giving us 3 days, no need to stay strictly on the Interstate.

The tentative plan-

Day 1: Leave home after the rush hour. After crossing into IN on I80/94. take I65 south to exit 215 and cut back west to US41. Follow that south to US36 and go east to Rockville. Cruise the surrounding roads and covered bridges, spend the night in Rockville.
    Any better ideas for the route?
    Is the town Rockville itself worth a couple of hours in the afternoon?
    Nice but moderately-priced place to stay in/near Rockville?

Day 2: Head toward Indianapolis on US36, stop for breakfast at either the Mayberry RFD cafe in Danville or US40 Diner (new ownership ) in Plainfield. Visit the museum at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, then continue eastward on US40/I70. Possible stop at the Longaberger basket company (7 story building looks like a gigantic picnic basket). Overnight in eastern Ohio.
    Any comments about our breakfast stop?
    East of Indianapolis, is US40 interesting or should we just jump on I70?
    Longaberger basket is said to be doing poorly because of Chinese competition, has anyone stopped there recently?
    Suggestions for overnight stop in eastern OH?

Day 3: Continue east on I70/Pennsylvania Turnpike. Minor detours for points of interest. Arrive Carlisle about 6pm.
    Most of the PA segment is marked as "scenic" on my maps, but I haven't yet found any places worth a quick stop. Obviously, I'm missing something

Your comments and suggestions will be appreciated, thanks!

Default Sharon's Attractions

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
    I'm in charge of planning a road trip for our car club this August,
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Looks like you have a pretty good outline. My suggestions would be for the return trip, since you are staying well to south on the outbound leg.

Possible stop at the Longaberger basket company (7 story building looks like a gigantic picnic basket).
    And you could also swing by Tipton, IN for a photo of one of the classic funny road signs....

Swing by Sharon, PA for lunch at Quaker Steak & Lube
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-11-2008 at 10:24 AM.

Default Paying Homage

Your general route closely follows or parallels that of America's First Highway, the National Road. While your group seems to be concentrating on the 20th century aspects of RoadTripping, this road has a considerably greater history behind it, particularly in Pennsylvania and Maryland. Generally following this road east as far as Hancock, MD would give you a number of opportunities for historic and scenic stops, let you alternate between I-70 and US-40 as time constraints dictated, and still swing north in time to get on the Pennsylvania Turnpike and experience a few tunnels before Carlisle.

AZBuck

Default Lincoln Highway too

AZ Buck,

Thanks for the jump-in and reminder -- I had lost my train of thought (at least twice) while working on the responses to the thread.

Another road (?) that follows part of your route is the Lincoln Highway and you could pick up a chunk of it as you make your way homeward from Carlisle. Basically, you would head south from Carlisle -- if you use US-15, just east of US-30 you can still find one of those early concrete Lincoln Highway markers. This one dates from 1928. I would actually suggest that you head east for a spell and go look at the 25-foot tall Haines Shoe House just east of Hallam.

If you want to find more of the amazing stuff still around on the old Lincoln Highway, this book, by Brain Butko is superb.

Mark

Thanks for the comments, I've already spent an afternoon and a pair of printer cartridges checking out some of those websites!

Until starting this thread, I had no idea that US40 was anything except another old highway. Again, thanks.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default National Road/US-40 in Ohio

I just traveled the National Road from Canbridge, Ohio, to Vandalia, Ohio, earlier this week.

You can pick up Ohio's excellent travel guide on the National Road at the I-70welcome center in the west, or order it. See Field Reviews.

Unfortunately, this goes east to west, but you can pick out places to visit. I definitely liked the road east of Columbus the best. You'll see the old 1800s markers, two "S" Bridges and a "Y" Bridge.

Also, I recommend a stop at Clark's Restaurant in Jacksontown, about 30 miles east of Columbus for some of the best fried chicken and pies you'll ever taste.

Enjoy the Ride. --RoadDog
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-12-2008 at 11:08 AM. Reason: added link to RoadDog's post

Being new to this site, and not so great with computers, I couldn't find the Field Reviews to learn more about the Ohio guide. Suggestions?

Default National Road Field Guide

...and here is a link to the book on Amazon. Unfortunately, they seem to be out of stock at the moment, and so you'll have to see if you can get one at a Welcome Center along the way as RoadDog suggests.

Also here's another useful link on the National Road.

AZBuck

More good links, thanks.
    Originally, I wondered how we would find enough things to keep everyone interested for 3 days. Now, it looks like we won't have enough time.