1. Default An Irish Driver travelling From Myrtle Beach SC to Los Angeles CA via Las Vegas NV

Howdy Fellas,

My names Dave and I am from the emerald isle known as Ireland!

I plan to visit my girlfriend in Myrtle Beach SC and drive with her all the way over to Los Angeles via Las Vegas from the dates July 20th-29th inclusive.

My plan was to take the road leading to Birmingham Alabama, then take the road leading to Memphis TN, which would then bring me on Interstate 40...which i believe to be the historic Route 66, would i be right in thinking this?

Anyway I would follow the I-40 all the way to the town of Kingman, where i would make my turning off onto US-93, the road that leads to Las Vegas.

After my eventful trip to Las Vegas I would simply take the route until i reach Los Angeles a few hours later.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any flaws in this route or if there is a better one to take?

Also, could anyone point out to me any tourist attraction towns/citys or monuments and places to stay overnight that one would be attracted to? I have set a maximum of three days where myself and my girlfriend could stay in a town for a day extra and two other places.

I have already set aside one of these days for Las Vegas (I have set one day for LA aswell which is not included in the three in question). Could anyone point out two other Citys/Towns that are worth an extra days stay on this track?

The reason for picking this route is that it includes historical citys and attractions such as Memphis, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam etc.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Default I can't quite follow the timeline herein

Quote Originally Posted by sligo565 View Post
    I plan to visit my girlfriend in Myrtle Beach SC and drive with her all the way over to Los Angeles via Las Vegas from the dates July 20th-29th inclusive.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! First, if you drive non-stop, 8-10 hours per day, it will take five (full) days to drive from Myrtle Beach to Los Angeles and if you are spending a full day in Las Vegas and one in LA, then you will only have two days "extra" to spend on the road and there lots of options for those two days.
    which would then bring me on Interstate 40...which i believe to be the historic Route 66, would i be right in thinking this?
    Not exactly, I-40 parallels sections of the historic Route 66, but there are only a few sections of the Interstate Highway that directly follow the old highway. Here is a web site that I have linked to Oklahoma (the first place that I-40 "joins" Route 66). and allows you to follow it to Kingman along the "Mother Road" highway.
    After my eventful trip to Las Vegas I would simply take the route until i reach Los Angeles a few hours later.
    It is a five hour journey from Las Vegas to Los Angeles along I-15.
    I was just wondering if anyone could give me any flaws in this route or if there is a better one to take?
    Perhaps you could fill us in a little more about your time constraints?

Mark

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Route 66

Driving from Chicago to LA on Route 66 took us two weeks, but we did stop, look and talk a lot along the way.

Route 66 does follow along I-40 from Oklahoma City to LA, and passes through the Painted Desert and close to the Grand Canyon. One nice thing about the interstate's proximity to the Mother Road is that you can always hop on it to make up time you spent looking at things along 66.

4. Default

Thanks fellas,

Info really helps.

Well I have planned to start driving on the 20th July and I have to make it to LA for the 29th of the same month, with my flight being on 30th July. Hopefully I can make it by the 28th so i could spend one day in LA.

Some days I hope to drive only 4.5 hours and others 9 to make up for it.

I've calculated that I have extra days to stop in Las Vegas and another city/location. So if anyone has any ideas on a great city/location to give a whole day to, please let me know!

Default Schedule tight but can be done.

Assuming that you make it to around Memphis on the first day, there is no reason that you cannot make it to LA on the 28th. However, you will not be able to do spend a large amount of time at any one place.

Each person has their own preferences of what they enjoy seeing. For me, I recommend spending an entire day in Oklahoma City. There are two attractions that attract me 1. The Murrah Building National Monument. 2. The Cowboy Hall of Fame. It will take about 1/2 day each to take them in. Also, if you like Mexican food, be sure to eat at Pancho's Mexican Buffet. It has the best variety of authenic Mexican food north of the border. It is all you can eat and is only 6.99! (Day 2 and 3)

From OK City drive to some place east of Alberqueque, NM. You will have time to stop and the National Route 66 museum in Elk City, the Sand Hills Curosity Shop in Erick-both in Oklahoma-as well as the Big Texan in Amarillo, Texas. (Day 4)

The next day (Day 5) drive to Flagstaff, Arizona. Be sure to stop at Ari/NM state line and have some fried bread. Stop at Holbrook to see the wigwam motel and stop at Winona to see the tribute to the Eagles song.

Day 6 start early in the morning at visit the Grand Canyon. You will be able to drive to the most scenic spots for viewing. Return to I-40 at Williams and drive to Seligman. Take old 66 from here to NEEDLES, California (not Kingman, Az as you stated). This stretch is one of the most interesting sections of the route. From Needles drive on to Vegas.

Day 7 stay in Vegas.

Day 8 (the 28th) drive to LA.

I hope this will be some help to you and can give more info if you wish by emailing me here or directly.

Remember the journey is more important than the destination!
    Scotishbob

6. Default

Thanks for the reply...has really answered a few questions that i had!