Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default London - Nice - Monaco - London

As I type this I have just 11 days left to work before I am officially unemployed. They are being very kind to me and sending me off on a nice little trip for five of them and I'm looking for any suggestions for the route.

Keep in mind that this is a working trip so I can't go that far off the direct route (I am pushing it a little already to be honest!) but this is what I have in mind:

Monday 14th April - Leave warehouse 430am, Eurotunnel crossing at 7am. Drive to Holiday Inn at Magny Cours. Freshen up then go and visit the Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours.
    Tuesday 15th April - Leave Magny Cours and head south to Nice stopping at the Clermont Ferrand Circuit de Charade before continuing, over the Viaduct de Millau (the worlds tallest bridge), to the Gorges du Verdon and, finally, to Nice.
    Wednesday 16th April - Working in Nice with possible trip to Monaco depending upon time left.
    Thursday 17th April - Leave Nice and drive both the Monaco GP track and Col de Turini rally stage before heading up to the Holiday Inn at Reims.
    Friday 18th April - Visit the abandoned circuit at Reims then head home via Paris and the Eurotunnel.

I'm thinking that some of those drives could be a little extreme but there'll be two of us (the other guy isnt into racing but loves an 'adventure' - especially when someone else is paying for the diesel!) so they should be 'do-able'. I'd love to hear from anyone who has driven any of the route who has any input...

Default No suggestions

Since I've never even set foot in Europe I can't comment on the route. But I will say that you must take lots of pictures of all the racing circuits and post them.

Laura

Default Okey doke!

I'll see what I can do!

I'm particularly excited about the Viaduct de Millau :D

Default Now there's a coincidence!

Quote Originally Posted by UKCraig View Post
    I'll see what I can do!

I'm particularly excited about the Viaduct de Millau :D
    Hi Craig,

Now this is really quite spooky! Take a look at the most recent entry on my blog ...

Peter

5. Default

I haven't done that route, but I am sure you will enjoy this trip through Europe. The destinations you picked sound really good!

Default Magny Cours

Well we've just arrived at the Holiday Inn Magny-Cours. I knew it was close to the circuit but I didn't realise it was on the circuit! There's cars out testing (can hear them from my room) so I'm gonna go investigate!

Good run down - arrived at the Eurotunnel at 6.30, on the train at 6.40 and into France 1/2 an hour later. I directed us through Paris city center and had quite an experience going round the Arc d' Triomphe! :)

Will report back later... off to chase cars.

Default Mini Bar

I think I'll have to agree with liz21107; I am gonna enjoy this trip. I only have nine days of employment left with this company so it's a nice 'farewell tour'. I wandered down to the track and managed to climb over the fence onto the infield. By this time I was soaking wet as it was raining like I've never seen before and I was really wondering why I was bothering. But there was something about that noise. Not so much the engine note but the gear change that gave it away. When I caught sight of the track my suspisions were confirmed: F1 cars! Okay, they weren't being run by F1 teams but they were F1 cars nonetheless. The circuit operates a driving experience using retured GP cars... how damn cool is that? And it was seriously wet on track. Great great fun.

Sadly my camera batteries soon died so I headed back to my room to crack open the mini bar. I'm off to check out the restaurant in a couple of minutes. Yes, I think I'll enjoy this trip.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-14-2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: fixed the format

Default Oh my goodness

I bet that was a sight to see. It sounds like your "work" trip is starting off on a good note. Too bad about the camera, though.

Laura

Well we've just arrived at the Holiday Inn Magny-Cours. I knew it was close to the circuit but I didn't realise it was on the circuit! There's cars out testing (can hear them from my room) so I'm gonna go investigate!
    hi craig,sounds like your having fun,nothing beats the smell of burning tyres,brakes and clutches !! are you sure you hav'nt started your world tour early? it's not sounding much like work lol!

I directed us through Paris city center and had quite an experience going round the Arc d' Triomphe! :)
    i bet!! we stood on the roof of the arc watching the cars playing dodgems below us for ages,very entertaining and not one accident,i don't know how it's crazy around there.

Default Nice

Well here we are. I'm now in the hotel in Nice... pretty cool place but I'm too tired to go out and explore tonight.

Put a few photos on my blog site yesterday for you Laura. But nothing exciting I'm afraid.

The Millau Bridge was pretty cool but to anyone going I'd suggest making sure you have lots of time - unlike us - and going down into the village to appreciate from down there. The viewing area isn't too great for the bridge view (tho you get a good view of the valley and the village below from up there)