1. Default Philly to Dallas via Savannah, Montgomery and NOLA

A friend and I are heading to Dallas/Ft. Worth, making stops in Savannah, Montgomery, and NOLA. Any suggestions for good things to do along the way? The more "off the beaten path," the better.

Things we like...

FOOD! Especially good regional cuisine.
    Outdoors stuff: hiking and swimming
    Great bars, music venues (we'll be in NOLA for jazz fest)

Thanks so much!

Tucson, AZ

Default Suggestions

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Just a few things that I know of that are pretty close to your route. While hardly "off the beaten path", South of the Border in Dillon, SC is certainly worthy of a stop on kitsch value alone. Don't worry, you can't miss it. In Georgia, you get within a couple of dozen miles of two under visited, but worthwhile sites: Andersonville and FDR's Little White House. You can take a slight detour on your way into New Orleans and cross Lake Pontchartrain on the longest bridge in the world. Then as you head north west towards Shreveport, aim a little east for Gibsland and the site where Bonnie and Clyde were gunned down - there are a couple of museums in town. As for food and entertainment, the best advice I can give you is to "inquire locally". The residents of any given town will know a lot better than I would what the best nearby eateries are. Also, check for local entertainment weekly newspapers listing local concerts and other activities.