1. Default Pacific Coast Hwy: Big Sur to Cannon Beach

I'm planning a week-long drive from Big Sur, CA to Cannon Beach, OR. There's room in my schedule to do this in either late April or late May, and I'm having trouble deciding which would be most pleasant. Any thoughts?

Default It is a matter of how it gets in the innner valleys

Quote Originally Posted by frabjousday View Post
    I'm planning a week-long drive from Big Sur, CA to Cannon Beach, OR.
    Late April might be a better time for clearer views -- as the heat of early summer builds, the discrepancy between the super-heated air above the inner valleys collides with the cool, moist air along the coast and dense fog banks appear. It still might be OK at the end of May, but by June, the fog will be hugging the coast until the cooler days of October return.

Mark

3. Default

I'm not sure but I have to say canon beach is pretty nice, have you been there before? My favorite place in oregon and I have been to many places there, is Lincoln City.

We used to go there every year for a long time, not sure what changed but I haven't been there in some time, it may very well be totally different now.

But I loved it there, the big waves would crash against the rocks, they had lots of rocks for that and they'd get little tidepools with starfish, anenome (i can't spell).

Anyways the point is I loved it.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-09-2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Do not use this forum for advertising!

Default Some amazing views to be found herein!

I'm planning a week-long drive from Big Sur, CA to Cannon Beach, OR.
    Here is a field report that parallels most of your trip. I think you will enjoy the photos and the descriptions.

Mark

5. Default

Thanks so much, this is very helpful!

To lip_service, yes, I have been there before but only as a small child. I have very fond memories of it and can't wait to go back.

Another question I should have included in my original post is about lodging along that route. I've heard that there are enough small hotels along the coast that you don't really need to plan ahead of time where you'll stay. Does this seem accurate? I'd like to be pretty flexible about where we end up each day.

Default Lodging won't be a problem

Thanks so much, this is very helpful!
    Glad you enjoyed the report - it is a beautiful part of the world. We did our trip in peak season July and never had any problem finding a room so you should be absolutely fine when you go.

If you can time your drive to take in an overnight in Bandon, I really would recommend it - that beach is unforgettable. And here's another tip: Oswald West State Park, just south of Cannon Beach. It's a nice easy walk down to the beach but you'll think you're in another world.

Peter