1. Default Denver to Yellowstone & back in May, advice please

We're meeting friends & staying in Grand Teton & Yellowstone but we have 1.5days to drive from Denver to Jackson & then we have 1.5days to drive back to Denver from Yellowstone. Could anyone advise a good scenic route to get to Jackson & then a different one to get back to Denver? I understand that some of the roads around Yellowstone might be closed that time of year, we arrive in Denver May 16th. Many thanks

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Lots of choices

Welcome to the RTA forums!

To get to Jackson, leave Denver going north to Cheyenne, WY; then head west on I-80 through Laramie to Rawlins where you will go northwest on 287 to Jackson. This is just over 500 miles can be done in 1.5 days rather easily. Enjoy exploring some of the Old West Forts, museums, etc. in Cheyenne and Laramie on the way.

Leave Jackson going south on 189/191. When they split, take 191 to Rock Springs, WY. You'll go west just a few miles on I-80 to hook up with 191 continuing south to Vernal. Along this way, you'll go through the southern part of Flaming Gorge NRA. In Vernal, enjoy the funny dinosaurs and consider making a stop at nearby Dinosaur National Monument. Continue south on 191 from Vernal to Naples where you'll take 40 to Dinosaur, CO, then 84 to Rangely, then 139 to Loma, CO. From there, take I-70 east to Denver. I did most of this same drive a few years ago and had a great time on it. Lots of stuff to see. This is about 675 miles; still do-able in 1.5 days.
    Last edited by PNW Judy; 04-08-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: added info

3. Default

I wish I could help you with the routes but I can't :) I do however have to say Yellowstone is a great place. I hear there are more fences and such than when I went there about 15 years ago or so.

Just make sure you drive slow and watch out for the moose, they are CRA-zy! lol
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-09-2008 at 12:49 PM. Reason: removed the advertising links

Default "Cut the corner"

Hello UK Kiwi-

Although it's been decades since I travelled it, US 287 turns off of I-25 at Fort Collins, CO, and "cuts the corner" to Laramie, WY, bypassing Cheyenne. It was a very enjoyable segment along, then through, the Front Range the last time I did it in the mid-1980s.

Once you turn off of I-80 to get back on US 287 at Rawlins, think about a side trip to South Pass, where emigrant wagon trails crossed the Continental Divide at the easiest pass in the Rockies. You can stop and have a look around at Lander, WY, also, a very enjoyable outdoorsy town at the foot of the Wind River Range. Just outside of Jackson, you can drive up to and see the Gros Ventre Slide, a mammoth landslide scar just east of town.

I think the return route Judy suggested is great. The segment from Green River, WY south to Dutch John is spectacular open canyon country. Be sure to take the short side trip to see the Flaming Gorge Dam--it's probably less than 5 miles off of US 191. I would only add that where you come out to I-70 at Loma, CO makes it possible to do the loop drive through Colorado National Monument, and whether or not you do that, proceeding east on I-70 takes you through Glenwood Springs, location of the Glenwood Hot Springs Resort. There, the hot spring waters are piped into a HUGE modern outdoor pool. The resort rooms are nice hotel rooms, and an enjoyable selection of restaurants and bars are within walking distance over a pedestrian bridge which carries you over the Colorado River and I-70 from the resort into downtown Glenwood Springs. The last time I stayed there, in January 2000, use of the hot springs pools was complementary with your hotel fee. From there, it's an easy 3.5 or so hour drive to Denver, so you'd have time to stop in the ski villages of Vail, Beaver Creek, or Breckinridge, all fun tourist towns.