Thread: DC to San Diego

Default DC to San Diego

Hello!

Every year I go out to San Diego for the Comic & Pop-Culture Convention (I'm a comic book editor and occasional writer). I decided to drive out there this year. It's something I've wanted to do for some time plus one book I'm working on has the main character taking this trip and another book I'm working on could benefit from a Memphis visit.

I'm doing the trip solo. Unfortunately the summer is my busy time so I have to condense the road trip into a week's worth of driving. The plan was to have overnights in Roanoke, Nashville, Memphis, OK City, Albuquerque, Flagstaff, and Scottsdale (and then spending four night in San Diego, of course). I'd fly back on Sunday. I wanted to structure the trip so that I could at least get a full day of Memphis in and also make a detour to see the Grand Canyon.

So...does this sound like too much for a solo trip? The longest drive is about 8 hours with the average duration being around 6 hours. I mean, that sounds doable but I've honestly never done anything remotely close to this. My longest solo drive was DC to Boston.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Default Almost There

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I think that what you've got laid out is pretty close to meeting your stated goals. Your longest diving day is the 570 miles from Oklahoma City to Albuquerque, but that's all Interstate, you do pick up an hour on the time zone change on that leg, and is your only such leg, so it should be fine. I don't see that you have quite the 'full day' that you are envisioning in Memphis. You do plan to get from Nashville to Oklahoma City, around 680 miles, in two days. That really doesn't leave a full day for Memphis. Still you would have most of the afternoon and evening of the day you drove in from Nashville, and maybe an hour or two in the morning before you'd have to hit the road again to cover the nearly 470 miles to Oklahoma City. You might be able to tweak your timing a bit with those rough edges in mind. You do seem to take a while to get going in that you spend 3 days just getting from Washington to Memphis, a distance that could easily be driven in two.

AZBuck

Traveldude Guest

I think you could do DC to nashville in a day and then have 2 days in memphis. You need 2 days just to eat all the good food!!!! All I got to say is interstate BBQ! BBq nachos and bbq spaghetti is all a person needs. Other than that the rest of the trip seems fine. I notice you have scottsdale after flagstaff thats a short drive, any reason? You could go to San Diego from flagstaff or like yuma.

Thanks for the responses!

I decided to alter the route a bit. I'm adding an extra day, getting to Memphis on day two and spending two nights there, spending two nights in the Albuquerque/Santa Fe region and driving into San Diego via Joshua Tree. So the overnights look more like:

1 - 8-hours into Tennessee (maybe Knoxville?)
    2 - Memphis
    3 - Memphis
    4 - OK City
    5 - Santa Fe
    6 - Albuquerque
    7 - Flagstaff
    8 - La Quinta
    9 - San Diego

The original stop in Scottsdale was because I have family there. I'd rather go through Joshua Tree, though.

Thanks again!

Default Are you skipping the family visit then?

Your route looks great! You don't really need to stop in La Quinta as it's only about 137 miles into San Diego from there. You could do Flagstaff to SD in one day. But it also doesn't hurt to break it up.

I think this should be a great trip for you.

One tip: If you're stopping at a city to sleep for the night and then planning on hitting the road first thing in the morning, i.e. no sight-seeing around town first, you want to go to the far side so you won't be dealing with morning rush hour traffic as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Your route looks great! You don't really need to stop in La Quinta as it's only about 137 miles into San Diego from there. You could do Flagstaff to SD in one day. But it also doesn't hurt to break it up.

I think this should be a great trip for you.

One tip: If you're stopping at a city to sleep for the night and then planning on hitting the road first thing in the morning, i.e. no sight-seeing around town first, you want to go to the far side so you won't be dealing with morning rush hour traffic as much.
    Well, I kind of wanted to spend a couple of hours in Joshua Tree the following morning and was thinking of using La Quinta as my staging ground, much like I wanted to do with the Grand Canyon/Flagstaff.

Are there better options?