1. Default Englishman on a Road Trip!

Hello, I am looking into doing my first road trip in America along the pacific route. I am planning to visit all the main cities, San Diego, Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Francisco and Seattle. Can you think of any other places along route that I should make a point of visiting. Does anybody know the distance this trip would be, I will be using the costal route?

Thanks David

Green County, Wisconsin

Default just the start

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You've listed a number of cities along the way, but I don't think its the cities that really make the PCH what is so interesting. Its the natural sights along the way.

This Field Report has some of the highlights from a trip from Northern California to Seattle that I think you'll enjoy. And if you did a search for Big Sur, I think you'll find hundreds more ideas about the section through southern/central California.

As far as the distance, I wouldn't worry about the number of miles as much as the time it takes to travel them. The PCH is a very slow route, and takes much longer than the same number of miles on a freeway. If you are going to do the entire coast from LA to Seattle, I'd think you'd want at least a week for the trip.