Default Las Vegas to Moab, Utah

Hello

We're planning a 2-week trip in August, flying from the UK to Las Vegas and staying there for 2 nights before embarking on what might be an ambitious trip by car.

So far I've planned to drive to Salina (south of salt Lake City) via Zion and Bryce Canyon in one day. Does that sound feasible? It's 263 miles with 10-year old twins who will need frequent stops. But we have the whole day and the hotel is booked and paid for...

Then on to Moab (where we're staying 2 nights to see the Arches and Canyonlands Parks).

The next bit is where I'm stuck - we want to head for the Grand Canyon, but it looks too far to drive to Williams or Flagstaff in one day. Any suggestions for a good route and overnight stop? One route seems to be due south via Monument Valley and Petrified Forest (and a crater which several people have mentioned - but it's not on my map!), another is via Mexican Hat and Kayenta. We don't mind a long drive because at Williams we will stay 2 nights and get the train to the Grand Canyon, having a full day off from driving.

Anyway, that's as far as I've planned - the kids are desperate to see the biggest tree in the world (Yosemite?), and we'd also like to surprise them with a full day in 'Anaheim' if you get my drift. So as I said - possibly an ambitious itinerary.

Thanks for any advice!

Sue

Default East or West!

Just a few thoughts.

Mixing a circular trip East of Las Vegas to include Bryce, Moab, Monument Valley and Grand Canyon with a circular trip west of Las Vegas including Yosemite and Los Angeles is a bare minimum mileage of about 2200 miles in 10 days (knocking off your stop days). Also along the way, to get the best out of the trip, there would be many short detour opportunities building up the mileage further.

Maybe a case of concentrating on east or west but not both at the same time.

Largest tree in the world – see what the children think of this one?

hi there.
    So far I've planned to drive to Salina (south of salt Lake City) via Zion and Bryce Canyon in one day. Does that sound feasible? It's 263 miles with 10-year old twins who will need frequent stops. But we have the whole day and the hotel is booked and paid for...
    to give zion and bryce canyon any justice at all would really require 2-3 days alone,both are spectacular places. is there any reason for going to salina? [although if it's booked prob not an issue]but you could have gone to zion and bryce and continued on scenic hwy 12[a lovely drive]through capitol reef and onto the 24 through hanksville on the way to moab.
    i think doing it in a day will give you a 1/2 day in zion to have a quick look,mainly from the shuttle bus,but trying to do bryce as well will be to rushed.

e next bit is where I'm stuck - we want to head for the Grand Canyon, but it looks too far to drive to Williams or Flagstaff in one day. Any suggestions for a good route and overnight stop? One route seems to be due south via Monument Valley and Petrified Forest (and a crater which several people have mentioned - but it's not on my map!), another is via Mexican Hat and Kayenta. We don't mind a long drive because at Williams we will stay 2 nights and get the train to the Grand Canyon, having a full day off from driving.
    going via mexican hat and kayenta will take you through the "heart" of monument valley.there are lodgings here or further along you will come to cameron trading post. staying here will put you about 45mins from the desert view drive entrance to the grand canyon. this is a paved road along the rim with lots of viewpoints,first one being by the entrance at the old watch tower,a spectacular first sight of the canyon. from here you will go through the g/c village and leave by the south entrance to williams,presuming you want to get the train back to explore the rest of the canyon from there as opposed to staying at the south rim.

Anyway, that's as far as I've planned - the kids are desperate to see the biggest tree in the world (Yosemite?), and we'd also like to surprise them with a full day in 'Anaheim' if you get my drift. So as I said - possibly an ambitious itinerary.
    the "largest tree in the world" is located in the giants village south of kings canyon,not in yosemite. as said previously trying to do it all in 2 weeks would be pushing it [and thats without 10yr old twins,lol!]so as lovely as yosemite and kings canyon area is i think you would be much better off giving more time to less places,and in particular zion and bryce canyons. if your first stop is set in stone than another possibility would be to visit bryce and zion on the way back from moab [through hanksville]via scenic hwy 12 and spend a bit of time here and then head through page for the g/c.
    i hope i hav'nt confused things to much!!
    our trip covers a fair bit of whats around your trip from day 8 if you want to look to get an idea. have a great trip!!
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 04-02-2008 at 06:27 PM.

It's not just the largest tree. It's the "Largest Living Thing" on earth. And it's in Sequoia National Park. I made it one of my stops this past summer.

Be prepared for the weather in the southwest in August. I was in Moab in 2006 and it was 112 degrees. This past summer I ran into temps as high as 117. Dress right and drink plenty of water.
    My must see list would be Delicate Arch in Arches National Park, it is worth the hike. Bryce Cannon. Hwy. 12 and 24 are two very scenic roads and of course the Grand Canyon. (south rim)
    I took my kids on a three week trip when they were younger. We went to Moab, Arches, Canyon Lands, Capital Reef, Goblin Valley, Bryce, Zion and the Grand Canyon and when we got home they said that they never wanted to see another rock again. I think they would have enjoyed the trees.

Thanks for everyone's help - I've made a note of all your suggestions and can see that I'll have to order a more detailed map! If we leave Las Vegas very early in the morning of day 3, maybe we could go via Zion NP then highways 12 and 24 ending up in Salina in the evening. I just picked Salina at random - it looked like a reasonable distance to go between LV and Moab (still no idea how to pronounce Moab - one syllabul or two?)

After that I'm torn between planning a completely detailed route or just letting the car take us wherever it wants to go... just like in the old days (before kids!)

Default Grand Canyon to Los Angeles

Hello
    Can anyone help with this next section of my journey? Part of our 2-week trip involves driving from the Grand Canyon area (staying at Williams) to Anaheim. It looks too far for a single day's drive, so any suggestions for a stop-over and some interesting places to visit along the way? We have 10-year old twins.
    Thanks,
    Sue

Default The GC to the OC

Actually, Williams to Anaheim is only 425 miles, all on freeways, so that is certainly doable in one day if you are of a mind. Stil, if you'd like to limit yourself to just a few hundred miles a day, then a good stopping place would be Needles, CA. On the day of your first leg (175 miles) you could get a late start from Williams and still have time to go down to Lake Havasu City and see London Bridge, That would leave just 250 miles for the second day into Anaheim and would assure that you could get there before the evening rush hour. Unfortunately, there won't be a lot of other options until you get to Bakersfield, since between Needles and Bakersfield, you'll be crossing the Mojave Desert.

AZBuck

can't help with the second part but if you did head for lake havasu,maybe as you have time, a trip across joshua tree n.p and twenty nine palms,it seems to be a popular choice,although i've not been there.
    if you do it over 2 days i was going to suggest travelling the old part of route '66 through seligman to kingman.it'll add time but there are some fun shops and quirkey towns along the way offering souveniers and diners,as well as the railway that runs along a big part of the highway,the trains have up to 6 engines to pull them there so long. i think the kids would enjoy it.