Thread: Weather In July

1. Default Weather In July

I will arrive in Vegas June 30th for six nights. Is the weather really as hot as people are telling me. We are looking forward to take day trips. We are also hoping to drive to the Grand Canyon and stay overnight. Any places stand out over others to stay. We have two boys with us age 10 and 12. I saw the link to the six day trips from Vegas. That really helped. Thanks!

Default how hot are they telling you?

hi there,
    give or take a bit your looking at the 100's temp wise,[up to a pos 115 odd]in and around vegas,the grand canyon [south] will prob be in the mid 80's.
    other than staying in the grand canyon village,which is possibly all booked up you would be looking at either williams or tusayan,which is only 7 miles from the south entrance for accomodations.
    have a good trip!

Default It is a dry heat

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Guys View Post
    Is the weather really as hot as people are telling me
    As locals, we look forward to hot days of summer. Here is short article about what it is really like to live here.

A couple of tips -- do not touch the top of your car when unlocking it (the metal will burn you)

Purchase and use windshield covers (& park into the sun)

Carry several bottles of water in your car at all times.

Here are some more summer travel tips.

Look forward to the experience -- Personally, I don't consider it hot until the temps reach 112 here.... We have recorded 119 degree temps here at the RTA office in May.

Also it helps to remember that the hottest part of the day is 4:30 to 5:30 pm, don't think that if it is only 108 at noon that you have passed the hottest part of the day. 108 is only a slightly warmish day here in the summer.
    We have two boys with us age 10 and 12. I saw the link to the six day trips from Vegas. That really helped.
    I think they will love visiting Oatman, AZ (it can either be done on the way back from Grand Canyon or a day trip from Las Vegas).

And here are a few of my family road trip planning tips!

Happy Planning!

Mark

4. Default Thank you!

I only seen 100 + tempertures a handful of times. We don`t reach that high to often in Philly. Alot of mid to upper 90`s with humidity. Iwill try the Village area for a hotel and buy a cheap window cover. This sounds like a great trip. Thanks again for your replys.

Default dry is nice

If you handle Philly in the 90s, then 100s in the desert will be no problem for you. I've said this before, but if you instantly went from mid-90s with humidity to the desert southwest, even 115 degrees of dry heat would feel like a cool breeze.

Default Reflective Windshield Screens

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Guys View Post
    and buy a cheap window cover.
    The kind you want goes inside the front windshield and every car wash and auto supplies store in the west sell them. They are made from a folding reflective substance and if you park facing into the sun, you can drop the inside temps about 15 degrees.

Mark

7. Default Southern girl logs in

Being from Memphis where humidity is king and hot summer days makes one appear as if they have walked through a tropical rain forest, Las Vegas is hot but you won't feel it. Maybe that doesn't make sense, but I think Philly is humid though not as humid as Memphis, so you won't notice it being hot like it feels at home. I will however recommend something to put up your nostrils to keep them moisturized. My nose was literally bleeding the whole time I was there from lack of moisture. So, take some nose drops or something to add some moisture to your nose because trust me you will need it.

The only time we really felt the heat was when we ventured out to one of the parks and walked through the desert. Take water and snacks with you if you venture out because there are few places to stop in those areas for supplies.