1. Default from east to west

If I want to drive east to west in a pickup cheaply can i do it.
    I don't really care where i stay, so long as it's safe. I don't care so much what I eat..although there are a couple of places i def want to stop and splurge..but for the most part sandwiches would be fine.
    the most important criteria of this trip would be fast, cheap and easy.
    I don't have much money to going to college soon. but i realize this is probably the only time i'll have to do this...unless i all of a sudden become rich.

so here are my questions:

1. Is it worth it to do this road trip even though it might cut into my budget a little bit?

2. Can I do this safe and cheap?

I want to get this done in about 8 nights 9 days.
    my main criteria is to just drive and see the country.

Default Yes, I can be done but..........

Yes, you can make the trip east to west in 9 days without too much trouble and at low cost so far as lodging and food goes. Right now the biggest expense that you will have is gas. Depending on your starting point/route you should be able to average less than $3.50 a gallon for gas.

If you knew a bit more about your route, the site might be able to assist you more.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default more time than you think

Welcome to the RTA forum!

I'll agree that you are being a little too vague for us to provide much specific advice. I'm not even sure I know what you mean by "the road trip might cut into your budget" in your first question. It would help if you would lay out at least some sort of budget and a rough itinerary.

Having said that, there are a few things I would have you keep in mind.

1 - 8-9 Days is enough time to drive across country, but it really isn't enough time to do it as a round trip.

2 - You haven't said how cheap is cheap, and there are certainly a number of things to reduce your expenses on the road. However, I would warn against trying to do things so cheap that you focus more on pinching pennies than having a good time.

3 - Believe it or not, this will not be the only chance in your life to travel or do a roadtrip. If a cross country trip is not in the cards or the budget, that doesn't have to keep you from doing a roadtrip. You can still have a great trip staying a little closer to home if you need be.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default More Puzzled

I'm sorry, I hadn't realised that you'd posted before and talked about your experience of traveling on many roadtrips on a shoestring budget.

Now I'm more confused about what it is you are looking for with your questions for this planned trip?