1. Default First time in america - New York to Kalamazoo, MI

Hi everybody...

I will be for the first time in the states in july and i hope some of you can help me a bit. I guess, some of my questions might seem a bit stupid but i hope that*S fine....

Basically, i have to be in Kalamazoo, Michigan at the 15.7., but i have arranged a flight to New York for the 7.7. So, after 2 nights in new york, i thought of renting a car to have a little road trip...that gives me about 5-6days...I thought of heading from new york to the niagara falls, and from there to Kalamazoo (=1280km) via Detroit.

>>>(1) First of all, is there anything very nice on the way from New York to the Niagara Falls which is worth a stop?? e.g., any nice national parks, landscapes or something??...or would you suggest to just drive straight away to the niagara falls??...From the looks of the maps, the area near the Great Lakes seems more interesting...so, i thought of leaving the outskirts of New York behind me very quickly and spent most of my time near the water...

>>>(2) Secondly, i thought of camping somewhere near the roads (not on proper camping sites). First of all, is that allowed in the USA??...and secondly, is that dangerous in that area because of any dangerous animals or so??...sorry, for the stupid question, but i don*t wanna be kissed by grisly bear or something...

>>>(3) I am not so much interested in visiting big cities..i would more like to experience the "american wilderness" and "wideness"...do you have any tips where i could find this on this route?...

Finally, i had another crazy idea: if i am quick enough at the Niagara falls, i could also head north towards sudbury (Canada), then Sault Ste Marie and finally heading down south to Kalamazoo...what do you think about this idea??...it seems a bit long, but the route seems to be very beautiful around the lake.....

I do appreciate every response.
    Thanks a lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by oliroeger26 View Post
    >>>(2) Secondly, i thought of camping somewhere near the roads (not on proper camping sites). First of all, is that allowed in the USA??...and secondly, is that dangerous in that area because of any dangerous animals or so??...sorry, for the stupid question, but i don*t wanna be kissed by grisly bear or something...
    I'm not really sure what you are thinking here. Basically, all the land in the US is owned by someone, so if you just pull off the road and try to camp somewhere you'll almost certainly be trespassing. Some National Forest lands allow dispersed camping, but generally speaking, if you want to camp, stay in a campground.

Going through Canada is an idea worth considering, but you'll have to make sure that your rental contract will allow you to cross the international border. Not every company will allow you to do this, and unless you are renting your car near the border, it probably won't be in the standard contract and you'll have to ask about it in advance.

3. Default

Hi michael,

thanks a lot...esp. the second advise was very useful...:)....i think i would have not thought about this....

cheers.

4. Default

I'm from Rochester which is between NYC and Niagara. Theres Letchworth State Park which is nice with some waterfalls, but I guess not worth it since youre going to Niagara. And theres.... I dont know the jello museum? Wow theres really not much around here when I think about it. haha.

and I'm planning on a cross country trip soon. I was also planning on camping wherever I could. I did it very successfully when I was in New Zealand, camping in fields, on beaches, but here in the US its different. The middle of nowhere might work....but I dont know. Whats the worst that could happen, ya get shot? haha. but seriously we're all armed. ha

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Ohio

In Cleveland, check out the Flats.

By Sanduskey and Port Clinton, there is an island out in Lake Erie called South Bass and it's Put-In-Bay. This is major good-time summer place.

In Toledo, try to get by the original Tony Packo's for some good eating.