Thread: From Iowa to ??

1. Default From Iowa to ??

On a whim, my girlfriend and I would like to leave late this afternoon and drive to somewhere within a 4-8 hour radius. We'll be leaving from Iowa City, IA and heading in an as yet unknown direction. We would like to see someplace new & fun, though we won't rule out places we've been (I'll list them below).

I used to live in St. Louis for years, so that's probably not a top destination. We've visited Chicago twice, and wouldn't mind seeing it again. We've visited Minneapolis, and I commuted every week by plane from Indianapolis to Minneapolis for 6 months, so that too is probably low on the list. We've been through Omaha a couple of times, and it wasn't really a place we thought we'd like to see again.

Other than that, we're open. It would be nice to see some interesting terrain on our way, and as we're both young (though both of legal drinking age, one of us barely :) and active either a great day/nightlife in the city or very beautiful outdoor destination for walking/hiking would be to our liking. There just doesn't seem to be a lot out there for generic trip searches.

Advice is quite welcome, thanks in advance!

-Brian & Niki

Default Nebraska?

Here is a link to a post about western Nebraska. Looks like a superb place to visit. That's more than 4-6 hours away, though.

You could head to Kansas City to eat barbecue. See the Jesse James stuff in St. Joseph, Mo.

Hmmm - hopefully someone with some better ideas will come along soon.

Laura

Default Us-151

How about a trek up US-151 towards wisconsin. That would take you through Dubuque, which is a great river town with the fabulous Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium. You could continue through the bluffs of wisconsin, going near Mineral Point, Governor Dodge State Park, Cave of the Mounds, and the Mount Horeb Mustard Museum, on your way to Madison.

Once in Madison, you'll be in one of the best college towns in the country, with a great university campus, lakeside parks, the state capitol, and the state street pedestrian mall with as much nightlife as you'll find anywhere in the midwest.

Default Speaking of St. Joe

Kansas City is another great idea, lots of possibilities there and I've always enjoyed my visits.

If you go that way, also stop in St. Joesph. It has more than Jesse James, it also has my all time favorite roadside stop, the Glore Psychiatric Museum!

Default Cool

I just drove through St. Joseph this summer and didn't have a chance to stop. If I'd know about that museum I probably would have. - Adding St. Joseph to my list of places to visit.

Laura

Default Day and Night

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I assume that you're talking about a weekend trip. The trick here, I think, is to not think of this as a drive to a place where you'll be entertained, but rather as a combination of a relaxing daytime drive with hiking and outdoor things to do, and an evening in a city with some night life. With that in mind, you might want to look at a trip down the Great River Road. Along the way spend some time in Nauvoo, IL and Hanibal, MO; take some hikes in the many wildlife refuges on the river; and plan on taking a ferry or two just for the ambience. That would put you in the St. Louis area for the evening. Certainly there's nightlife there that you haven't sampled and even if you have, why not introduce your girlfriend to some of your old haunts. Then you can work your way back north the next day, seeing those places you missed or didn't have time for on the road south.

AZBuck

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Or, Just Cruise Along the Mississippi

Some mighty magnificent views along the Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, and Missouri borders. Galena, Illinois is a trip back into time. Also, US-20 from Dubuque to Elizabeth, Illinois is full of scenery.