Thread: sunshine bound

1. Default sunshine bound

My wife and I are going to Sarasota from Toronto April 11 or 12. We are driving and I am wondering what the best route is and how complicated is the border now. I haven't crossed in years but I would like to avoid long delays. I'm thinking going off hours since we are leaving on a weekend hopefully getting to the border before say 5:00 am. The border crossing may determine the route as well, ie. Detroit or Buffalo. Thanks all.

Tucson, AZ

Default Relatively Easy Choices

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The 'best' route depends on what you want out of it. The most direct route is to cross at Buffalo, take I-90 west to Erie, PA, then I-79 and I-77 south to Columbia, SC, and finally I-95/US-301/I-75 to the Tampa Bay area. There are also a few connecting roads in there such as US-19 in West Virginia and I-10 in Florida, but they should be obvious on a map. Border crossing has become a bit more complicated recently, but if you have a passport it should not present any difficulties. If you don't have a passport, then plan on carrying, at a minimum, a government issued photo ID (e.g. your driver's license) AND the original or a certified copy of your Birth Certificate or Naturalization Papers, since you will have to prove who you are and that you are a Canadian citizen. I would think that Buffalo/Niagara would be the crossing of choice. Going by way of Detroit would add two hours to the drive, plus the crossings there would tend to be more congested as a general rule.

3. Default Construction woes?

I requested info here before as to a route to Florida from T.O. I got great info and I am now wondering how, with the marvel of the internet, can I bring to forth information en route pertaining to construction. We are leaving on a weekend so I intend on crossing the border early to avoid that backup, but what about the rest of the trip. Any websites to consider? What about the mountainous terrain and the weather? I'm thinking fog could be a problem and that would be after sunset I'm guessing which would give me about 12 hours from Buffalo. Should be okay but any experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Keithville, LA

Default State Police

You can always check the state police or department of transportation websites for the various states you'll be passing through for construction or other road closures. As far as fog all I can suggest is to check out weather reports along or way or check out the Weather Channel.

5. Default Tolls

We're driving to Florida and I want to know how the tolls work. How much are they generally? Are they electronic or cash? Do I carry a pile of coins in the car. I know they may seem like silly questions but I don't want to be unprepared and inconvenience other people.

Tucson, AZ

Default Simple

The only toll roads you will encounter will be the New York State Thruway and the West Virginia Turnpike. I believe both work the same way. When you enter the toll road, you will be given a Ticket showing where you got on and then when you get off you will be charged the appropriate amount. The toll collectors are very efficient, and you don't need correct change, but you will need U.S. currency.