Default New York Driving??

Am planning to end our road trip in New York and drop the minivan off there and wondering what I have in store in terms of driving around the Big Apple? I've been in a taxi there before and it was an experience to say the least, so not to sure how i'd navigate around myself. It'd be a challenge, though i'm not too sure if i'm being a little naive thinking it'll be fine, just turn up and do your best type attitude?? I'm not overally experienced in driving big cities. Does anyone have any words of comfort having done this type of thing before or would you strongly recommend I change my drop off destination? Was thinking of dropping her off a little on the outskirts of NY and getting public transport into our hotel? But wheres the fun in that?! Was going to drop her off at one of the major New York airports but the rental charges go off the roof??

Default my thoughts

For many of my trips to the NYC area I had always avoided driving directly into the city and tryed to bypass it as best I could, or use the trains to get from the suburbs into the city.

That is until last year when I decided to take the plunge and to drive into the heart of midtown manhatten. I was honestly shocked at how easy it was to drive there. I thought it was much easier to navigate than some other major cities, including LA and Montreal which are my two least favorite cities to drive in. I did manage to avoid Rush hour, driving into the city midweek around 10 and leaving around 10 that night, so I'm sure that helped.

If you are worried about it, it wouldn't hurt to leave the car outside the city and take the train it, but it sounds like you are looking for the challenge of driving in the Big Apple. If that's the case, then I say you should go for it.

Default One of may all-time favorite cities to drive in

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_UK View Post
    It'd be a challenge,
    Actually, it is pretty easy -- I second Michael's view -- I like driving in NYC -- good driving is appreciated and as long as you keep your cool you will have fun!

Mark

Thanks for the advice chaps, that makes me a bit more relaxed about the idea. Think i'll just avoid rush hour like you said Micheal and go for it. Agian, much appreciated.

so the rental charges are higher at an airport instead of a hotel in NY???? That sounds weird.

NY, Manhattan at least, isn't hard to find you way around. Like has already been said, rush hour is the killer. Give it a wide berth. Remember there are many one way streets in NY and get good direction ahead of time.

Default Airport Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by greg in ak View Post
    so the rental charges are higher at an airport instead of a hotel in NY???? That sounds weird.
    Rental counters that are not part of the local airport system are not responsible for levying and collecting airport taxes. These surcharges can run as much as 77% of the base cost of the rental. Look at this post....

Mark