1. Default Migration from NYC to San Diego, CA

hello..

i have spent some time reading the threads and articles on this site and it is an EXCELLENT resource...i commend all of you who maintain it..

i am going to embark on a cross-country adventure sometime this May as i am 22 years old and have decided to move from Staten Island, NY to San Diego, CA and i have alot of questions...

i'm eagerly anticipating the trip but i'm just as nervous about it as i am excited because i've never really done anything like this before and there are, of course, a lot of things i have to sort out..

I am hoping to start to craft together my route and where I would be stopping this weekend...

here's some details:
    -like most people, i would like to see Rushmore and Yellowstone and everthing else along the way. Not the Grand Canyon, though, as I have already been there.

-i'm quitting my job here and am pretty much just going out to California without plans for what I will do out there so there isn't really a serious time restriction. I would probably like to keep it within about 8 days, though, as I will be traveling either with my brother or my friend (or both) and I have the feeling we might be killing each other after a week spent together in a car

-money-wise, i'm not looking to totally pinch pennies but I also don't want to blow a bunch of cash on hotels and gas. As a matter of fact, the hotels and lodging are really the thing that I am most concerned about for the trip. Should I plan places to stay ahead of time? (Maybe this is a dumb question but..) Should I be stopping to stay in a hotel--or motel--every single night or is it normal to sleep in the car for a night while someone else drives?

-as this IS a cross-country relocation, i'm also a little worried about what things to take and how much to take. I don't really want to have to be constantly worrying about someone stealing all of my belongings with my car. Any suggestions here would be appreciated.

BONUS:
    -this isn't a total necessity for the trip but, the more i've thought about it, the more I think it would be a good idea to stop and see a few baseball games in different cities along the way as I am a HUGE baseball fan and may not have the opportunity to do something like that again in the future.
    My main reservation about this, though, is that I might be going too far off track to go see a game in Detroit or St. Louis or Cleveland. (Those cities, along with Cleveland, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, are the possible stadiums I'd would generally like to stop and see.)
    So, in discussing a route, please acknowledge this possibility.

That's all I can think of for now but I will post more questions as the trip nears.

Thank you VERY MUCH in advance.

Default That includes "you" now....

Quote Originally Posted by bronzeringz View Post
    i have spent some time reading the threads and articles on this site and it is an EXCELLENT resource...i commend all of you who maintain it..
    This is a community-driven resource, and so now, you are part of that which maintains this site -- so Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    here's some details:
    -like most people, i would like to see Rushmore and Yellowstone and everthing else along the way. Not the Grand Canyon, though, as I have already been there.
    One resource you ought to look at is the series of articles that Peter Thody is writing. Basically it is a meandering trip from Chicago to California. Another resource is this A-Z list we have created for every state and province in Canada and the USA.
    and I have the feeling we might be killing each other after a week spent together in a car
    Here is a quiz that you both ought to take and discuss before patricide happens....
    Should I plan places to stay ahead of time?
    This is frequently discussed here -- generally, I would say that is not necessary, but here are some more thoughts on this.
    (Maybe this is a dumb question but..) Should I be stopping to stay in a hotel--or motel--every single night or is it normal to sleep in the car for a night while someone else drives?
    Not getting sufficient rest is dumb, dumb idea -- so yes, you should both stop each night -- but to save money consider camping....
    -as this IS a cross-country relocation, i'm also a little worried about what things to take and how much to take. I don't really want to have to be constantly worrying about someone stealing all of my belongings with my car. Any suggestions here would be appreciated.
    Transporting stuff that you can acquire for little $$ in California makes little sense. Better to sell it for gas money than transport it. Generally you should not leave anything visible in your car at night.
    as I am a HUGE baseball fan and may not have the opportunity to do something like that again in the future.
    Here are some tips.

Happy Planning!

Mark