1. Default San Fran - Vegas (sorry if this has been done before)

Hey guys, ye seem really helpful so i was wondering if ye could give me some advice. Myself and my boyfriend and my sister are going over to san francisco for a family wedding in June (we are Irish) and are planning to rent a car and drive to Las Vegas. we want to leave San Francisco early on the 16th June and drive straight to Vegas..So any suggestions on the quickest route, preferably sticking to busy routes ( a little bit afriad of empty dark roads lol ) as we are not locals and have never done this before. Also have you any ideas on how long it will take, and are there adequate gas stations (just want to ensure we dont run outta petrol...another fear)

We are staying over in Vegas for 3 nights and are leaving vegas early on the 19th of June, and want to travel to go see Death Vallay and then stay over somewhere in maybe Bishop?? We then want to leave Bishop? early on the 20th June and drive to see Yosemite park and then back to San Francisco.

Any suggestions on routes, what to look out for, advice? What to bring?? Anything that will give me some information would be helpful. Im a worrier and would really like to be as prepared as i can be!! Also does this sound like it will be do-able?? My timing and the like? We would only like to spend around an hour or so in each park??

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Default sounds fine

Welcome to the RTA forum!

The fastest route from SF to Vegas is I-5 south to CA-58 through Bakersfield to I-15. The entire trip takes about 9-10 hours, and you're never more than about 30-40 miles from a gas station.

Your trip back will be ok, as long as Tioga Pass is open. It typically opens in early June, so you'll probably be ok, but you'll want to check on it in case its a late start to the summer. Otherwise, you'll have time to look around DV and Yosemite and see some of the highlights, but you aren't going to have time to go beyond what's right on the surface.

3. Default

Thanks for the info!! Im really excited!! How will i check if its open before i go? will it be on the internet ya??

this link will give you the park roads up dates.

[Photo by Gommy]
    i hope you have a a great trip,you have every reason to be excited,it's a lovely area and yosemite is out of this world.if you have time take the drive up to glacier point,it's truly amazing!!!!!!!!!

Also, you can check this thread -- because of the contest we tend to have the very latest information about the opening of the Tioga Road!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-27-2008 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Dropped in one of his trip photos

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gommy View Post
    this link will give you the park roads up dates.

[Photo by Gommy]
    i hope you have a a great trip,you have every reason to be excited,it's a lovely area and yosemite is out of this world.if you have time take the drive up to glacier point,it's truly amazing!!!!!!!!!

Also, you can check this thread -- because of the contest we tend to have the very latest information about the opening of the Tioga Road!
    Thanks so much!! thats really helpful!! :)