1. Default Philadelphia to San Diego

I'm planning to drive back out to California after graduating from college in May. I'll be taking along my boyfriend who has never been to the US before.
    Tentative stops are:
    New Orleans
    Santa Fe
    Grand Canyon
    San Fransisco
    Santa Barbara
    Are we leaving anything out? Are there any random/fun places to stop en route? We'd ideally like to stay in interesting, funky hostels or B&Bs...and would welcome any suggestions seasoned road trippers may have.

Tucson, AZ

Default I Hope You Have a Few Weeks

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by erinkitis
    Are we leaving anything out?
    Well, yeah - everything except the 7 places you've mentioned. There are a multitude of great places between Philadelphia and San Diego that you could include depending on your tastes and interests. Still, you've already laid out a route that is about 4500 miles long and would require around 8 or 9 days just to drive while making no stops of any appreciable duration. How long do you have for this trip? Are there any budgetary constraints?

Read through this general discussion of hostels in America and this report on some interesting hostels. Also follow the link at the end for others. As has been recently noted in other discussions here, B&B's in the U.S. tend to be almost just the opposite, in that they are more geared to couples looking for romantic locations and for whom cost is not the primary consideration.

If this is a journey of discovery, then you should try to budget almost as much time out of the car walking the cities, small towns and parks as you do driving the roads. Talk to people. Eat at local cafés and diners in town rather than just at the chains at the freeway exits, Stop at the Welcome Centers as you enter each new state and at the tourist information centers in the cities and towns along the way. They'll know more about the best things to see in their local area than even the most seasoned RoadTripper.