1. Default 1 month + 2 weeks, $8000, US coast to coast round trip possible?

hey guys, im currently a student in WA, thinking of going on a road trip this summer with 3 other friends. im the one who suggested this, so currently im planning everything out. heres my very badly drawn line of where im thinking of going:

so basically down to san fran, los angeles, up to vegas, then straight across the central us following I-40 until we hit wash d.c., then up to boston, then start going west, past chicago, then back home -

$8000 to spend ($2000 each)
    1 month 2 weeks
    will not be camping
    taking either the 15 mi./gal. mercedes, or, the 19 mi./gal. kia (is it possible with such a light car?)
    we're students - we're not going to be staying in any place fancy, or eating anything too expensive

also, the planner of this whole thing (me), has never gone on a road trip other than VERY short family ones, and so has almost no idea of whats possible or whats not possible, or how to realistically formulate a road trip. btw, my family does not travel a lot (i wish we did..)

so is this a realistic trip to be planning to do, for one who is so inexperienced? the main reason why i want to do this, is that im worried that there wont be very many chances to do something like this again. i dont want to regret anything. just wondering if anyone has any input/suggestions - thanks!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-26-2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Preferred URL format herein

2. Default

ok i should have also added in - i dont want to do a drive all day, drive all night, rush to cover miles routine - there are plenty of things to see, side roads to take if we want, and leeway to stay and take our time experiencing the area... so is it possible to do the trip "comfortably"? thanks

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by rex-craft7 View Post
    $8000 to spend ($2000 each)
    1 month 2 weeks
    will not be camping
    taking either the 15 mi./gal. mercedes, or, the 19 mi./gal. kia (is it possible with such a light car?)
    A Kia that only gets 19mpg??
    Anyway, 6 weeks on the road and staying in motels - I'll be conservative with the costs and say $60/night for motels - about $2500 just there. Let's say 8000 miles, at 19mpg - about 425 gallons of fuel at $3.20 per - $1360 - so we're at almost $3900 already, and we haven't eaten yet.

also, the planner of this whole thing (me), has never gone on a road trip other than VERY short family ones, and so has almost no idea of whats possible or whats not possible, or how to realistically formulate a road trip. btw, my family does not travel a lot (i wish we did..)
    I would suggest checking out our planning pages, and having all interested parties take our compatibility quiz.

Default Very Tight

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Just running some very simple numbers indicates that you are going to be on a very spare budget. Your trip is going to be a minimum of 7500 miles, before you start running down any side roads to see anything. Using rule-of-thumb figures of 20 mpg and $3.75/gal leads to needing around $1,500 just for gas. You may be able to do a little bit better, but not much. That leaves $6,500 for four people for 6 weeks, or all of $38/person/day to cover food, lodging, admission fees, night life, etc., etc., etc. That is really not very much at all. Look at it another way. After gas, you're talking about living on $15,000 per year each while buying food and lodging in the most uneconomical units. You may get by, but it is not going to be pleasant. Add to that problem the strain of living in very close quarters with the same three people day after day, night after night for 45 days or so and I just don't think this trip is going to be anywhere near as much fun as you might think

AZBuck

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rex-craft7 View Post
    so is this a realistic trip to be planning to do, for one who is so inexperienced? the main reason why i want to do this, is that im worried that there wont be very many chances to do something like this again. i dont want to regret anything. just wondering if anyone has any input/suggestions - thanks!
    Bottom line: You need more money or less trip.