1. Default 5-6 day road trip from Toronto to SanFran - best route?

Hello, and thank you for providing these wonderful forums!

A friend and I will be staying in San Francisco for four months and will be traveling there by car near the end of April.

Since we've never seen most of USA before, rather than just take an interstate highway for 40 hours, we've decided to make a 5-6 day road trip out of it and experience as much of USA as we can.

What would you people say is the most scenic route to get there? Looking at a map, there are definitely a lot of interesting places to visit along the way, such as Chicago, Denver, Omaha, Salt Lake City, Yellowstone park, Tuscon, etc. and I'm not sure which route would provide the best experience. I'm interested in everything, local food, big cities, small towns, vast deserts, etc.

Some advice I've already gotten is to avoid interstate highways (as they have dull and boring scenery), and stick to the old US highway/state highway/service road system.

Areas in or around California aren't necessary since we'll be living in San Fran and will travel around the state often. So we can afford missing Reno, Vegas, San Jose, LA, San Diego, etc. if they'd end up being inconvenient to stop by

Default Never hear that advice from me!

Quote Originally Posted by jobber-d View Post
    Hello, and thank you for providing these wonderful forums!
    Well, thanks and welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    A friend and I will be staying in San Francisco for four months and will be traveling there by car near the end of April.
    San Francisco makes an excellent portal for exploring the west.

Here are some possible routes going south and east
    Utah and Beyond
    Here are some ideas about going north
    Some advice I've already gotten is to avoid interstate highways (as they have dull and boring scenery),
    I would suggest that whomever gave you that advice is misinformed -- some of the most amazing scenery in the west can (only) be seen easily from the Interstate highway system. Consider this section through the San Rafael area in eastern Utah -- if you have serious 4-WD driving skills you could avoid the highway -- but this route is pretty darn scenic!

And, finally one more field report, you must read -- excellent photos -- this trip started and ended in San Francisco as well!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-23-2008 at 03:13 PM.