Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Sarasota to Buffalo

Hello.. i found a thread going the other direction when i drove down here (thank you ,Road trip America)..

now i am ready to go back..(solo driver).I have, meantime, forgotten all the key things like how many hours to drive in a day..but i found that in one thread a moment ago.(thanks again..)

ok..
    Does anyone have an "old tried and true route," Florida to Buffalo, with suggestions on stop overs for this particular trip.?

I have Sarasota to Columbia,SC -558 miles..possible stop over.
    (any one have suggestions of clean places to stay in Columbia?)

then Columbia towards Pittsburgh which is five hundred some miles

Then Pittsburgh to Buffalo.

I think this is really ambitious..but would appreciate any feedback.
    need to get home.
    thanks
    alice

Default Going Home

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Well, the 'tried and true' route from Columbia to Buffalo is just I-77/I-79 (with the shortcut via US-19 in West Virginia that I think you're aware of). Given the length of your daily drives, I don't think you should be trying to add too many stops or attractions along the way, but it would help you if you took some time out of the car each day if only for a 20-30 minute walk in some nice settings, For that, you might want to look at the Okefenokee Swamp or Savannah on Day 1 and the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area or Bluefield, WV.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks, AZ.. i do hope i am not being overly ambitious in my driving times.

i suppose walkie breaks such as you suggested would be good..but i really want to shave every possible minute off of my trip..which is looming before me.

i wish i knew in advance where i was going to stay in my stops, around
    Columbia or Philadelphia..

That is the info i was really hoping to find here..

but if i do not, i guess i will just drive and drive until i am really tired and have made most of my daily quota, and just stop at whatever place is near the highway..for the night.

thanks
    alice

Default Motels

Your planned stops, at Columbia and around Pittsburgh, are fine. They break up your overall drive into manageable chunks and they are both cities that will offer lots of lodging options. I seldom give specific recommendations for places to stay since it's such a personal choice and so many individual likes and dislikes come into play. I tend to favor 'low-middle' scale establishments like Days-Inn, Jameson's, and Holiday Inn Express because I want a certain level of comfort, and quiet, but rarely use the room for anything more than a shower and a good night's sleep so that any extra amenities are wasted. If you just go to whatever you favorite search engine is and enter "Columbia South Carolina motels", you will find more than enough places to choose from. If you know where you're going to stop, then book ahead. You can usually save ~10% of the rack rate and it's one more thing you don't have to worry about while on the road.

AZBuck

Default Or you could use one of our sponsors....

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    If you just go to whatever you favorite search engine is and enter "Columbia South Carolina motels", you will find more than enough places to choose from.
    I tend to use Yahoo Travel when making my arrangements -- Yahoo! Travel is a primary sponsor of RTA and this Forum AND their search engine is very good.

Mark

Default Walk...please walk!

Quote Originally Posted by alicemagooeys View Post
    Thanks, AZ.. i do hope i am not being overly ambitious in my driving times.
    As AZBuck said, your nightly stops are fine and manageable.

i suppose walkie breaks such as you suggested would be good..but i really want to shave every possible minute off of my trip..which is looming before me
    Don't. Big mistake. And for several reasons:
    (1) a few brief walks aren't going to add that much time to your day
    (2) it's hard to keep alert while sitting in the car all day; even if you think you're alert, blood flow just isn't working as good after sitting for a long time and this effects your brain function and response time. You are safer for yourself and other drivers if you move every couple of hours.
    (3) DVT (deep-vein thrombosis) can be a killer and it can even strike young, healthy, fit adults; a big contributor is sitting for long periods of time. A few years back a TV reporter died in Iraq from DVT after being on the long plane trip and immediately hopping in a jeep to go to where his story was located. Pictures show he was fit and friends/family said he hiked, etc. and was very active. The best way to prevent any problems with this is to move every few hours. It doesn't have to be a 20-30 minute walk. When you pump gas, hop/skip/jump in place and really get the blood flowing. When you run to the restroom, run...not slowly walk. And so on.

but if i do not, i guess i will just drive and drive until i am really tired
    If you are really tired, you've driven too long already. Again, think safety a bit here. Now, if I really need to get somewhere and I haven't done my days quota of miles and I'm really tired, I do one of two things...sometimes both. First, get out and take that walk/jog/skip to get the blood flowing. It's amazing how often this totally invigorates me and clears my head and keeps me going for another couple hours. But if that's not enough, I will pull over in a safe place and take a short nap. I've done it in the car or, preferable and if the weather is warm/dry, I find a park or someplace with people about where I can lay down on a blanket and stretch out. I've even done this at fairly busy rest stops.

Better to do either or both of these and get at your nightly destination a bit later but safely then risk nodding off. Nodding off is one of the major reasons for accidents. Don't risk it.

and have made most of my daily quota, and just stop at whatever place is near the highway..for the night.
    That's what most of us do. The savings can be nice if you book ahead but it's nice to have the flexibility. If fatigue does hit you and you can't shake it, it's better to pull over at one of the first places you see than to continue on for a few more hours just because you have a reservation.

Most any of the chains should be clean, safe, and be a decent place to spend the night. If you get some kind of bad vibe about the place, move onto the next motel. And you can always ask to see the room first before you pay for the night if something makes you think you won't be pleased with the room itself.

7. Default Thank You !

Thank you so much, AZ, Editor, and Judy for the SUPER SUGGESTIONS !!

Judy.. that is a great idea..to rev up my "blood flow motor" more when i pump gas and make rest room stops..!!

I usually , on these long road trips, just slither out of the car and do whatever i have to do..You have given me inspiration..!!

Yes, i usually would rather pull off at a rest stop and snooze if i really cannot go any further and find myself on a highway with no nearby place to stay, or if i do not want to stop for the night quite yet and find myself badly drowsy..
    This does not happen too often, but i would rather be safe.

ok.. well, i am going to re read all the suggestions above.. Just to get an overview of places just off the Interstate..(That is one of the main considerations for me..close proximity to the interstate.)near my two major potential stop points , i will try Yahoo travel and see what i can see..or do a search of motels, near interstate, etc.
    THAT should work.

thanks again, all of you for all your kindness.!

alice

Default Places right off interstate...

I can't imagine anyplace where this would be a problem. The interstates are all heavily traveled. Except for some expansive areas in the west, nowhere near where you will be traveling, I can't imagine that there aren't going to be motels just off the interstate fairly frequently during your trip.

Of course, that's not to say you shouldn't have some ideas of where you want to stop. I'm not familiar enough with those particular areas to be of much help.

Here's a tip: go to any chain motels in Sarasota that you might consider staying at and get their free guidebooks. If you stay at a chain the first night that you don't have a guidebook for, pick one up in their lobby when you check in. They are free and amazingly helpful. That way you'll be fully "armed" with information for motels all along your route.

One more tip: If you're staying in/near a city or metro-area and need to travel through it to get where you're going, drive to the far side of it that night so you are past it in the morning and don't have to deal with the rush hour traffic going in and through the city. This alone could potentially save you a lot of time and headache.

9. Default

Greeat Idea about going to a motel in the northern part of any particular city,Judy..

i was just looking at a map of motels in the Northern more area of i 77 N
    relative to Columbia..

Yes, most interstates have motels close by.. but i am going through some parts of Virginia and West Virginia, and not going into Pittsburgh proper, but heading North towards Erie... I KNOW there are areas with slim pickings in there..

i just have to try and do my homework the best i can..

i had some friends who made this trip and they said that there were stretches of no place to stay just when they got TIRED.

( they did not save their information of where they did stay..drat..)

thanks
    alice

Default Yeah, it can happen

But I really doubt you'll travel all that far in the more populated eastern half of the US without finding something. Even in the western half, where things are far more spread out and population centers are less, etc., you almost have to try hard not to come across something every hour or so.

A map should give you a clue if you are going to be going through an area with few towns for awhile. Just be aware of where those are at and if you're coming close to a stretch of road like that and you're starting to get fatigued, stop at the next place you see instead of forging on.

I'm sorry I can't give you specific recommendations. I've done few trips to the east so I don't know anything to tell you beyond what I've done.

But pick up those free guides at the hotels before you leave. Really. If there's no Motel 6, Super 8, Days Inn, Travelodge, etc. along these stretches, then there might not be other hotels either. It might help you identify just where those stretches will be and keep you armed with the information you need to make good choices.