Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default road trip san francisco- houston

Hi everyone,

my best friend and I decided to come to the US to go on a road trip from San Francisco to Houston or from Houston to SFO (we're from germany).
    My friend has relatives in San Francisco (she has only met them a few times but they get along really well) and I lived in Houston for a year (which means that I'm somehow familiar with the Houston area).

still, we can't really decide in which city we wanna start our road trip.
    She wants to start in Houston to save the best for last (LA and San Francisco) but I think it's better to start in San Francisco.

However, I'm only a little road trip experienced and y'all seem to know a lot about the drive.
    I'd be really glad if you could help me out, maybe tell me where we should start and what we should definitely remember on that drive.

Thank you!

Default Where you get the best deal?

Quote Originally Posted by *raspberry* View Post
    still, we can't really decide in which city we wanna start our road trip.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! It seems to me that you start the road trip from whatever city is the most convenient and offers you the best price on your rental car. I would think that would be Houston, but San Francisco is a great place to start as well.

Here are some of the routes we recommend for roadtrips beginning or ending in San Francisco.

Mark

3. Default

thank you mark.
    we're gonna arrange the rental car with our tourist-center in germany.
    I'm not sure but I think it's a fixed price for one week and each additional day...no matter where you start.

4. Default another important question

also, we don't know how many days we should plan for the drive.
    we were thinking maybe 10 days but some people have said that we are crazy and that 10 days are not enough time for a trip like this.
    can anyone give me advice?

Default 3 to 1000

also, we don't know how many days we should plan for the drive.
    A reasonable driving period between these two cities is three days -- if you have 10 you can see several national parks along the way. But if you had 1000 you could see even more. It really is a "strange" question -- you can always find cool stuff to do and see, each day, whether the road trip portion is three days or 1000.....

Mark

6. Default

thanks,
    I also thought that 10 days are really enough if you wanna have a relaxed drive and hit some of the national parks.
    but since I don't know the area I didn't wanna be too sure about something I don't really know.
    it's kinda hard to calculate how long it's actually gonna take.
    we wanna take the coastel route from LA to San Francisco and I've heard that it takes 3 hours but I also heard that it takes 2 days.
    that's kind of confusing for someone who's never been there.

Default Only with a jet-powered car!

we wanna take the coastel route from LA to San Francisco and I've heard that it takes 3 hours but I also heard that it takes 2 days.
    If you follow the coastal route (CA-1) between San Francisco and LA it will take 8-10 hours to drive it. In order to drive it in three hours, you would need to maintain 165 mph and I don't think there is car yet made that can drive that speed and still handle the curves of the Big Sur highway.

Mark

Default 10 days enough?

You could do the trip in 10 days. However, if you're going to explore the California coast, too, I'd recommend trying to add a few days for that. If your budget can handle the extra days and you can get away for that long, I don't think you will regret it. It's a long way to fly to short-change yourself if you don't need to. 10 days minimum, though, in my opinion.

You will want to have at least two days to do the cost from LA to SF. Spread that 8-10 hours driving over two days so you'll have time to stop and explore a bit.

9. Default

we thought about what we want to see and it's not that much. we don't have to stop at every national monument or national park.
    we thought we'd take a little detour because we wanna see grand canyon and antelope canyon.
    however, we don't want to spend a whole day at antelope canyon.
    from grand canyon, we want to drive directly to Los Angeles, (again, we might only stay for one day) and then take the coastal route to San Francisco (even though we thought we'll decide that spontaneously when we're in LA, depending on how much time we still have left)
    10 days still enough?

we're thinking we might need a little more time.
    we have enough time for a really long trip but we don't want it to get too expensive.

Default It's your trip

And you need to plan something that fits your own time, budget and interests. I guess I just think that after such a long flight to get here, and the time it takes to get through the airport, pick up your rental car, etc., that it's a shame to spend so much time/money on a flight and not stay as long as your budget allows. I still think you would find plenty of fun and interesting things to fill up a few more days, and that would give you time to explore/drive at a bit more leisurely pace, but you could do it in 10 days.

Gosh, I had never heard of Antelope Canyon. I'm bummed that I was unaware of it and missed it when I was in the Page area. I had to do a search for it and saw the pictures. I've seen them before but didn't know where they were taken at. Thanks for teaching me about something new.

GC to LA is almost 500 miles. It's do-able in one long day.