1. Default Madrid-us Trip. Mom And Son (7 Years)

Hi. I am Maria from Madrid (Spain)
    On August I will be travelling to the States with my son Pablo (7 years old). We will arrive in New York and we have plans to stay there for 2 weeks. Three days for New York city and the rest I have plans to travel around to Boston, Provincetown (to see the whales) Mystic, Lake George at the adirondack mountains, Buffalo, Niagara Falls , Pensylvania , the amish , and back to new york.
    First of all... thanks a lot for the information that I get from you web page. Second... ¿can you please tell me how to know the highways that you have to pay to get throw? ¿is possible to get a room in one of thoses road motels without reserving? Is there specific places for kids? the bed and breakfast hotels on the road are much more expensives than the European bed and breackfast... ??? Is there any bed and breasfast guide to buy?
    I am going to rent a car... if I cross to CAnda at the Niaggara Falls I need a special permision for that? The hotels at NIagara are better on the US side or de Canadian side (price)?
    An finnally... The hotels in New York are really high prices for low services... Due to the fact that I am travelling with my boy... I don`t want to stay too far away.... any suggestion to stay in New York at low price ?

Default I can answer some questions

First of all. Welcome to you and Pablo from Roadtrip America!

... ¿can you please tell me how to know the highways that you have to pay to get throw?
    These are often marked on maps as Toll Roads. You might want to check each individuals states transportation department website to make sure which roads are toll roads and which are not. Hopefully someone from the Northeast will be along soon and can help with this more. We don't really have toll roads in Louisiana.

¿is possible to get a room in one of thoses road motels without reserving? Is there specific places for kids? the bed and breakfast hotels on the road are much more expensives than the European bed and breackfast... ??? Is there any bed and breasfast guide to buy?
    No you don't have to make a reservation ahead of time. In fact I usually recommend that people don't make reservations and can make their trips more spontaneous.

Bed and Breakfasts in the US are used more for romantic getaways than just places to stay while out on the road. I've stayed in them as a single woman - but I can't tell you how many times they asked my when my husband was coming. I've never had a problem with sticking to some of the more common chain hotels such as Super 8, Motel 6, Days Inn, etc.

As far as books of hotels. Each state will often have recommended lists of hotels in their pamplets. Also, AAA has books of hotels for each state, but I'm not positive how you would go about getting them. I'm a member, but I'm pretty sure that they also sell the books. Anyone have any better ideas?

I am going to rent a car... if I cross to CAnda at the Niaggara Falls I need a special permision for that?
    Yes - rental companies tend to get really mad if you take a car across the border without permission. I've never done it, but I know several people on here can give you more information on what you need to do.

I don't have answers to your last questions. But let us know if there is anything else that we can help you with.

Laura

Default More places to get info from

I suggest you do a web search for "___(name of state)___ tourism". Example: "Pennsylvania tourism". Each state has a tourism office and they will usually be the first item you will find using this search term. Normally they are glad to send you free guidebooks, maps, and other materials. However, I'm not sure if this work with overseas requests. You may have to pay postage but you will have to check around to be sure.

If you decide not to get their free materials, or if you can't due to being in Europe, you can still get a lot of good information on their websites.

Also, as Laura stated, bed & breakfasts in the US tend to be far different than in Europe. Instead of being mainly for budget travelers and families, they tend to be higher-priced. Some of the major, budget chains are Motel 6, Super 8, Days Inn, Econolodge, Travelodge, to name a few more. They all have websites that you can find in a web search. It is easy to find their locations this way. They all also have guidebooks that are free. I don't know if you can request them to be mailed to you but you can pick them up in the lobby at any of their locations. You might want to start with printing out information from the web for their hotels in the locations you are traveling through. And then when you stop and spend the night at one of them, pick up a free guidebook in their lobby before you leave so you have it with you. I think that's the easiest way to handle this.

I suggest talking with whatever company you are renting your vehicle from to let them know you're going into Canada, and to ensure that there are no restrictions against this. I hesitate giving blanket information on this as there are always exceptions and this is too important of a matter to take to chance. I'm sure their customer service people can guide you and make sure you have all the information you need.

Do you need any tips on things to see? Routes to take? Let us know if we can help you further.

Default Even More

Bienvenido al bordo RoadTrip América foros!

That general trip came up just a bit earlier today from another European traveler. So look at the discussions that I pointed that person to and you'll find lots of things to see. We do have a few toll highways, the ones you need to worry about are I-90, the Massachusetts Turnpike and the New York State Thruway, and I-95, the Maryland, Delaware ($4.00) and New Jersey Turnpikes. In the area where you will be traveling, motels are plentiful in all price ranges and reservations should not be necessary. Lower cost motel chains here include Red Roof Inns, Motel 6, Econo Lodge, Super 8, and Teavelodge. Bed and Breakfasts in America are much more of a specialty business than in Europe, and so, yes, they are more expensive than what you might expect. The best way to find what's available is to search on-line using the words: bed breakfast city_name. You will have to check whether you will need a visa to enter Canada. If you do, then you will have to obtain that before leaving home, otherwise you should only need your passport to cross the border. Make sure that your rental car company knows well in advance that you plan to drive into Canada and that they provide you with the necessary paper work to allow the car across the border. For your visit to New York City, I would recommend that you find a motel in one of the towns on the East side of the Hudson River and well north of New York City that are served by the Metro-North Railroad and take the train into the city during the day. I think your son would enjoy this and it would be more fun for you, too, if you didn't have to drive into the city.

AZBuck

Default adding on

Its been mentioned that B&Bs in the US tend to be more "romantic" type establishments, as such, many of them frown upon bringing children, and many of them simply will not allow guests under age 18. I don't think this will be a real good option for your trip. I would stick to motels for this trip.

I would bet that hotels in Niagara Falls will be quite a bit cheaper on the US side, mostly because the value of the US Dollar is so low compared the Canadian Dollar right now. The Canadian side is generally considered the better side for viewing though, and there is quite a bit to do around the falls on the Canadian side.

6. Default Gracias

I do really thanks you for you advises....
    You are vey kind...
    can you tell me if is there a place where I can rent old cars like a convertible cadillac or convertible dodge?
    Last edited by nomedalagana; 03-23-2008 at 08:04 AM. Reason: adding information

Default not practical

I don't know of any company off hand that rents classic cars, and if you find someone, I can assure you that the price would be rather astronomical. The simple realities and costs of obtaining and maintaining old cars makes them impractical as rental cars.

Many companies do rent convertables and other sports cars, but they'll be new models. They are a little more reasonable, but will still be quite a bit more than a standard sedan.