1. Default 8,000 miles, minivan and me - pointers welcome

Well, it's not as if we're new to roadtripping, but this will be our longest single foray as a family - 8,000+ miles in 60 days (give or take) in a giant loop of the West. We're following our (7-year-old) daughter's interest in early American History and following the Lewis & Clark Trail (roughly) with other stops along the way for her (5-year-old) sister, such as children's museums, parks of particular note, etc. You can check out our proposed itinerary here and see a map here.

What are your favorite campgrounds along the way? Favorite outdoor venues, historic sites, points of interest? We'd love to hear from you before we head out in late July.

JPB
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-21-2008 at 07:46 AM. Reason: link format

Default woweee!

hello and welcome i'm sorry i can't help you with anything but i'd just like to say that looks like a fantastic adventure and hope all goes well for you.
    have a great trip!

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Route 66

I'm not sure where you're departing from or other towns you might want to visit along the way.

But, if you've got the time, cruise the Mother Road on the way back.

One of these days I'd like to do the Lewis and Clark Trail.

Definitely stop in at the Lewis & Clark Museum in Illinois near St. Louis. It is very interactive and should hold children's attention.

Default Great trip!

How wonderful that you can do this to feed your daughter's interest in history! You're giving her a great gift!

This site has lots of great info for the Or/Wa part of your trip.

Just off the top of my head:
    * Seaside, OR, has a replica still that L&C would have used to make salt.
    * Fort Clatsop, OR - just west of Astoria (their winter stay)
    * Fort Columbia, WA - across the fun-to-drive Astoria Bridge. This general area is where they first saw the Pacific Ocean. A nice visitor center is on the hill.

Fort Stevens State Park is a wonderful campground. Not only is there some historical stuff there...Civil War related, no less. But it's very close to the L&C stuff I just listed above. You could use it as a base to explore any of these areas.

I know most about the Oregon/Washington parts of your trip and will be glad to try to answer any other specific questions you might have.

Oh, did you write that guidebook? Very cool. Are you writing a book about your trip this summer?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog View Post
    I'm not sure where you're departing from or other towns you might want to visit along the way.

But, if you've got the time, cruise the Mother Road on the way back.

Definitely stop in at the Lewis & Clark Museum in Illinois near St. Louis. It is very interactive and should hold children's attention.
    THANKS for the input. Would the L&C museum you're refering to be the Museum of Westward Expansion in St. Louis? Sounds like you're talking about something across the river...searching... ;)

Leaving in mid- to late July.

Jen
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-21-2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Gratuitous Links

6. Default

Thanks for the welcome, Gommy, and for the info, Judy.

We'll actually be staying at my mom's house in Seaview, Washington, so we have a bedded base with hot shower for as long as we'd like there. We've yet to visit Fort Columbia so we have that on our short list for this trip.

As for the rest of Washington, we LOVE it! We spent 32 days largely traveling Washington State via minivan (and, yes, tent) on our last Big Trip, so we'll be exploring Grandma's neighborhood (anywhere within 50 miles of the house), then heading up the Columbia through WA.

Have you been to the L&C State Park in WA? Is it worth the stop, or shall we just carry on. I could also use some input about campgrounds along the Columbia near The Dalles. We stayed at one on our last trip that had our tent backed up to the highway, then railroad tracks. WHEW! I'm a heavy sleeper, but not even THAT heavy!

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    How wonderful that you can do this to feed your daughter's interest in history! You're giving her a great gift!
    SNIP!
    Oh, did you write that guidebook? Very cool. Are you writing a book about your trip this summer?
    Yes, I did write that book. It's gone very well. The next book is likely our own county (SLO County is my home county, though begins about 10 miles north of our current home). I'd like to write SOMETHING about this upcoming trip, but haven't decided just what. Don't know if anyone'd really be interested in a book. May work on some travel articles and the like...but there are a LOT of people out there trying to sell travel pieces!

We'll see what pans out...
    We're doing the trip whether we sell a paragraph or not! :)

Jen
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-21-2008 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Gratuitous Links